Can someone explain something about HFT

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tsgiannis, Mar 24, 2017.

1. tsgiannis

tsgiannis

Hello to everybody
    I have many questions about HFT and i can't find definite answers...
    One thing i found today is this post...in the attachment you will see a clearer picture
    hft.jpg
    Well i can't really understand the original buyer buys at 30.02 instead 30.01....why he/she accepts the higher price....

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Handle123

Handle123

Any member that has made HFT system is going to tell you zero on anything about it to keep it secret. You can contact Hedge funds and see if they will show you but guess what, they most likely won't either.

CBC and cvds16 like this.
  3. tsgiannis

tsgiannis

I read more carefull the article and the buyer has a range i guess from 30.00 to 30.10...so if its in acceptable range it would be acceptable....
    Interesting article....

4. southall

southall

He doesnt have to accept it. He can wait for the price to fall. However he then risks it going even higher.

5. southall

southall

This particular HFT scenario could be easily avoided if the exchanges provided good after time orders, send your orders to all the exchanges, they go live on every exchange at exactly the same time guaranteed.
    No way the HFT's can then front run your order in this way.

Simples likes this.
  6. tsgiannis

tsgiannis

@southall thanks for the explanation...especially the part about risk...

7. To avoid the affect of HTF use limit order at the price your willing to pay/sell. Sure HFT may beat you on the trade but they need to place their order less then yours. So what they make fractions, you made your trade at your price, and they provided liquidity.

8. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Or you could just place your trades on IEX !

9. truetype

truetype

Is there any evidence fills on IEX are better?

marketsurfer likes this.
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

Yeap, read Flash Boys By Lewis, I have just finished it. The evidence is there. IIRC they get the midprice fills like 70% of the time compared to 10-20% at other exchanges.

#10     Mar 24, 2017
    Tim Smith likes this.