Can someone explain how this is possible on the tape?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Amatrue, Jan 9, 2020.

1. rb7

rb7

If someone is selling, it means that someone else is buying.
    Unless the pic you attached doesn't represent the tape (time & sales).

And btw, usually, green means 'Buy' and red means 'Sell'.

#11     Jan 9, 2020

2. I think we can now safely block this nitwit , as a moron or troll or both

#12     Jan 9, 2020
  3. wow, impressive. that and 15 cents gets you on the short bus

#13     Jan 9, 2020
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

We were short, and that spike caused us almost 20 ticks slippage on exit, and the order was resting on exchange.

#14     Jan 9, 2020
  5. You can rest all you want after you pay the man

#15     Jan 9, 2020
  6. Amatrue

Amatrue

are you saying that the offers at 75 were all pulled so that the next offer came in at 00?

#16     Jan 10, 2020
  7. garachen

garachen

Yes but you wouldn’t say it that way. There were already resting offers at 00 so they became the best offer. You would say it like the 75 offer was pulled and new bids came in at 75. 00 became the best offer.

maybe YM moved. Maybe ZN. Maybe something else.

think of the market as a giant trampoline. Pressure or trades in one product will cause pressure or trades in another product. The tighter the correlations are, the more engineering has gone into that trade. Those relationships are at the center of the trampoline. Most people should focus on the periphery where correlations are weaker and can lag by minutes to hours. Stuff like that is way harder for HFT to capture so human understanding is more valuable.

#17     Jan 10, 2020
    Zr1Trader, jelite, Sprout and 3 others like this.
  8. garachen

garachen

Not really back. Just for two more weeks. Trying to get a sense for how markets are treating people and what they are active in. And maybe find some serendipitous tidbit.

#18     Jan 10, 2020
    questionforG likes this.
  9. This is a correct answer.

You should save all depth activity for your analysis and you will quickly learn how the bid/ask levels (10 of them on each side in ES) are living a very interesting life with and without matching.

You don't need those very expensive connections. Buy some data from CME data mining services and compare them to your own data feed to see how it performs.

#19     Jan 11, 2020
  10. I think "S" = "Sold" is from the perspective of the exchange, i.e. Sold at the Offer. Since the price at the offer is always higher than the price at the bid, "S" is shown in green.

at :02, someone buys at the offer 3225.50, this may be the last 3225.50 available at that particular time. So,
    at :07, 3225.75 becomes the least expensive offer, and someone buys at the slightly higher price, i.e. the exchange Sold at 3225.75.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    #20     Jan 12, 2020