Can Opponents "SEE" your stop.. emini NDx100

Discussion in 'Trading' started by SH_DW, Apr 25, 2008.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

On Nuclearphynance website, some quant/trader stated that his institution has been able to crack eurex platform to get stop placement and use it in a trading black box that had more than 10 M in edge every year. The system was just placing limit orders to cover where the stops would be touched after pushing the market to it. The problem was finally fixed by eurex in 2004.

The same kind of strategies have been described in the case opposing Renaissance technologies to the renegade quants that left and tried to sell their knowledge of renaissance strategies.

However, I've never heard of anything like that on globex, and of course if there was the same kind of algos around, they wouldn't give a shit about your stop because they imply complex imbalances between place of limit sizes, limit queues and stop places in huge sizes. Even if it was possible, it would be really hard to do it on NQ as it is almost impossible to move it independantly from the cash with program trading around.

#41     May 1, 2008
  2. SH_DW

SH_DW

Thanks.. and now I have some answers that make sense!

#42     May 1, 2008
  3. Mate do you really think the markets could give a shit about your order? Talk about delusions of granduer. It more likely you are doing what all noobs do and place your stop in an obvious place.

#43     May 1, 2008
  4. SH_DW

SH_DW

As they say.. "it takes one, to KNOW one"!

Well, anyway.. consider yourself blocked for your ridiculous waste of my time..

#44     May 1, 2008
  5. #45     May 1, 2008
  6. When there is no direction in the indexes its hard period. Best to wait for a clear trend to develop.

Find something thats trending and trade in that direction, thats you best bet for success.

#46     May 1, 2008
  7. monti1a

monti1a

"People call me on the phone
    I'm trying to avoid
    But can the people on TV see me
    Or am I just paranoid" - Rockwell

#47     May 1, 2008
  8. r-in

r-in

I didn't read the whole thread; I didn't want to read all the bitchin, but I was under the impression the CME doesn't hold Stop orders, only Stop/limit orders. I simple Stop order is held either at your broker or on your system until triggered then a Market order is sent. Whereas the Sto/Limit is held on the CME's systems, so if your computer craps you at least still have the order at the exchange while you crap your pants trying to get through to your broker(ie Tradestation and IB) who has you on hold or isn't answering at all. Ok yes I threw a jab in, now I know why I didn;t read the rest of this thread. :D
    As a note I have had both good and bad experiences with both those firms in past. The best was when I hadn't put in my drop dead Stp/lmt order or intial profit tgt yet and the power went out at home. After 3 minutes on hold, and another 2 minutes with the desk guy I got out with a $400 loss. This would have been about the same as my drop dead order, but really annoying. Had to by new computers for the ones I threw down the stairs.:D

#48     May 1, 2008
  9. cant speak on other trading platforms, but on the FAST platform, which is globex-land, by clicking the "Depth" tab, i will see all the limit orders closest to the last price traded. it tells ya half the story. . .

#49     May 5, 2008
  10. Does anyone know where I can get opening and closing imbalances for free if possible on NYSE stocks?

Thx

#50     May 5, 2008