Can NinjaTrader be trusted?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by snackly, Aug 30, 2008.

1. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

NinjaTrader traces communications from the IB API to a file that sits on your local PC. This information can be used by NT support staff to resolve customer issues. This information can include account balance if you trade through IB. This information is ONLY sent to NinjaTrader if the user chooses to send us their trace files either voluntarily or at our request else, we never see this information. Although we have had cases where account balance has helped us resolve issues, I can understand the sensitivity of this information and thus have decided to exclude this data from the trace files on our next update. Thanks for sharing your concerns.

#11     Sep 4, 2008
  2. Well ive looked over NT for a few years now.
    Sometimes it has problems and errors but most of the time is ok.
    For automated trading it has the same risks as anything else.
    Even hosted IN the cbot servers it still gets d/c at times which messes things up alot.
    I have checked it using wire shark and the info it is sending to NT servers is purely small packets of license key confirming.
    It is NOT stealing your trading systems.
    After all these guys are programmers they could just make there own in 5 minutes.
    Why would they need yours do you think you have discovered some holy grail noone else ever has? hahahaha
    Man that mindset will get you nowhere.

#12     Sep 16, 2008
  3. snackly

snackly

What does getting "d/c" mean? Also what kind of volume are you doing? Are you using it for high frequency trades?

Thanks for your feedback.

#13     Sep 16, 2008
  4. Traber

Traber

Thank you for the reply

#14     Sep 18, 2008
  5. Lucky

Lucky

I checked another trading application that phones home (not NinjaTrader) to see how it behaved if the master server went down / became unreachable for an extended period of time.

The app would not start up without the phone home and would fail after something like a week of not being able to contact the "master" server if I started it & then blocked the connection.

IIRC, a drop out of my Internet service for ~1min caused it to go back to "start-up" mode upon reconnect, so that 1 week could be drastically shortened.

Again, this was not with NT, I'm not currently an NT user, but I am interested in it.

Anyone willing to block the NinjaTrader server with their firewall to see what happens?

#15     Sep 18, 2008
  6. srv

srv

NJ's TOS - downloaded yesterday 7/22/09) :
    Section 10 Paragraph (g)

"Some configurations of Software/Service may transmit trade execution data over the internet to a secure database for the purpose of audit tracking"

Can someone explain why NinjaTrader needs to keep my trade data?

I've been using the free version of NT for about a month and want to lease a license so I can trade through NJ.

This part of the TOS makes me very uncomfortable. I've looked through TOS and license agreements I have with other software/service providers and I havn't found anyone else requiring my agreement that they can use, keep, and share, my trading data. I understand "audit tracking" to be something different than incidental to debugging or to verifying my license.

Probably this is a non-issue and there is a simple explanation but, I can't think of one.

I want to use NT and will appreciate any help in understanding this so I can use NT without these troubling thoughts.

#16     Jul 23, 2009
  7. NinjaTrader_Ray

In short:

- As a NinjaTrader user you have the option to use our "Static" SuperDOM which is under license from Trading Technologies
    - This version of the SuperDOM incurs a transaction cost - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/trading_technologies_settlement.htm
    - If your FCM does not provide the option to collect these fees for you, then you must pay for these transaction fees in advance by purchasing transaction credits from us here - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/subscribe_transaction_credits.htm
    - ONLY in this scenario is it required to capture your trade data so we can accurately deduct your transaction fees from your account with us and report to Trading Technologies

#17     Jul 23, 2009
  8. Surdo

Surdo

Ray:

I am using Static DOM, and never pay for transaction credits, do some brokers have this "built in" to the rates?

surdo

#18     Jul 23, 2009
  9. Yes, some have that in their fees. Like Mirus.

Sucks majorly, but Ninja is not to be blamed. Some guys have a patent and demand fees for usage of that screen. Legally... they are right.

#19     Jul 23, 2009
  10. NinjaTrader_Ray

Yes.

#20     Jul 23, 2009