Can my wife ask for Alimony if she makes more money than me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RGLD, Aug 16, 2020.

1. RGLD

RGLD

I don't think this can happen in New York State, but please let me know your input. Thanks.

2. Overnight

Overnight

Speak with a divorce attorney. Kinda' like asking tax advice here from peeps here who are not CPAs specialized in the world of trading. Bad juju could ensue.

3. CET

CET

She can ask for anything she wants, but the real question is what is she likely to get. If you make less than her then make sure you ask for alimony, as you are more likely to get it. That high priced lawyer you have to get at some point can tell you for sure. Also, alimony and child support are two different issues.

4. RGLD

RGLD

No kids.

5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You do realize you can use Google to look for anonymous legal advice at forums suitable for such...not trading forums. :cool:

There's forums and lawyers that give one week free legal advice.

wrbtrader

6. vanzandt

vanzandt

yes

7. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

They can ask, but if they make more, they wont get anything. From what I understand is they calculate it as 40% of your net income - 50% of the receivers monthly income. So if you make $5k per month and she makes $6k, it would be $5,000 x .4 = $2000 then 50% of her monthly income is $3k so $2k-$3k = negative $1k so she'd get nothing. At least that's how it is in CA...not sure about other states.

8. ElCubano

ElCubano

My ex asked for it all. Then I asked for the dog and she folded. :D

piezoe and vanzandt like this.
  9. Would depend on the jurisdiction of your particular state.

10. RGLD

RGLD

Is there a state where they'll give the wife everything even if the Man is a bum? Than they'll put you in jail if you can't pay up? (which you can't!)

I saw a story in Kansas where an X boyfriend had to pay child support because the father is no longer around. That's insane.

#10     Nov 25, 2020