Can McCain save America ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Humpy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Somehow I don't think so. I still think Usama beats McCain...and McCain beats Billary regardless of what they do to each other in the primaries. And I think Usama beats Hil..

#21     Apr 15, 2008
  2. ONly one man can save America right now....Ronald Reagan...too bad he bit it a few years ago.sigghhhhh...I'd take Ron Paul or Pat Buchanan in his place

#22     Apr 15, 2008
  3. Amen brotha

#23     Apr 15, 2008
  4. reagan was the beginning of hyper deficits. give me Ron Paul any day.

#24     Apr 15, 2008
  5. Yannis

Yannis

McCain's basic platform is strong defense and a win in Iraq; strong, market-driven economy through lower taxes and lower wastful spending (eg, no earmarks); immigration reform and better border management; continue improving our education; install conservative, moral judges; and help the environment (eg, encourage R&D on alternate energy sources).

Of course he's a politician, and you can't trust those people on anything other than the fact that they want to win, but his extremely strong record in Congress gives us much better protection than the alternatives. He's a true centrist and always managed to get things done across the aisle - a far cry from the other two.

Sounds good! I'm sure you guys agree with me, right? :)

#25     Apr 15, 2008
  6. I lean towards that view also, until I do the Electoral college math. Obama is popular nationally, but not in the States he needs to win. He wins by large margins in the States Dems win anyway, but is hating life in Florida, Ohio, and many states that are toss ups. Realclearpolitics does one of these electoral comparisons about once per week, and Hillary actually does best, even though I think she has the least chance of winning anything.

In an Obama - Mac race, McCain only needs to hold Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and Mizzou, and he wins. As it is now, all of these look likely.

As Gore learned the hard way, popular vote means nothing. The US really needs to change that.

#26     Apr 15, 2008
  7. Yannis

Yannis

How about Donald Duck instead? He wears no pants, which will be like being back in the White House of the late 90s again... :)

#27     Apr 15, 2008
  8. This is one of his pet peeves. He thinks they should be illegal (as do I).

#28     Apr 15, 2008
  9. Good point....I haven't looked at the Electoral math. I've tried to stay purposely ambiguous until now.

#29     Apr 15, 2008
  10. Yannis

Yannis

You can't go to a basketball game, kick the ball and say that in a soccer game you would have won! The Dems complain to hide the fact that they were too stupid to play to the Electoral College rules! For example, Bush spent very little time in Texas because he knew that he'd carry the state - a few extra days there would have increased his "popular vote" count a whole lot, etc.

#30     Apr 15, 2008