Can market follows a deterministic mathematical law ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by harrytrader, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Maths!?

There are some books for discussing/researching many new directions/developments of future maths concepts/theories that are beyond the existing framework, due to its current limitations.

Sometimes I doubt if the existing maths framework can be good enough to mathematically and satisfactorily describe and resolve all our daily problems.

Just a thought! :confused:

#11     Sep 24, 2003
  2. man

man

even more goedel's work seems to indicate that there can NEVER be a complete mathematical description of the world ...

peace

#12     Sep 24, 2003
  3. Probably right. :)

#13     Sep 24, 2003

4. Cheese I love your post.

I think this is one of the most intelligent, very very smart, common sense post I have ever read on ET.

Thanks

#14     Sep 24, 2003
  5. harrytrader

The answer to your original question is "NO"!

#15     Sep 24, 2003
  6. As I understand it, the market is an amalgamation of human behavior. The study of human behavior is deemed to be more of a "social science" than a pure or natural science. Mathematics is a pure science. Therefore, I don't think it is entirely appropriate to use mathematics as a predictive tool in the markets, which I infer to be the true nature of your question. On the other hand, mathematics/statistics are excellent "post-dictive" tools in that they explain what has already happened fairly well. Perhaps that is why curve-fitting and backtesting bring so much more joy than out-of-sample forward testing.

If the market (i.e., crowd) were able (and willing) to follow a "deterministic mathematical model," then mathematicians would be the most successful politicians and world leaders, or at least they would be top advisors to them. I don't think we're there yet. As far as crowd behavior is concerned, I don't think that the path of least resistance has yet been replaced by the math of least resistance.

Regards,

Thunderdog

#16     Sep 24, 2003
  7. ..I believe another way to express what you said about Boolean algebra is that a fuzzy logic approach works in the markets: if this greater than that, and not the other greater than yet another, etc.

#17     Sep 24, 2003
  8. Cheese

Cheese

Nutsneal

Sir, I am honoured by your compliment.

#18     Sep 24, 2003