Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Journals' started by ScalperTrader, Oct 12, 2011.

1. desktop22

desktop22

Applejuice. I'm assuming he meant that whichever way to market had moved during the day, it became apparent that the longs that had driven the market up had to sell the last 30 minutes. Or vice versa.

I've never understood why there appears to be covering on some days in the last 30 minutes of trading, and other days it just continues in whatever direction of the day.

#51     Nov 16, 2011
  2. I have traded the ES, and it really does not matter what you trade. Just pick one contract/stock and stick to it. The 6’s have had great range lately.

OK, as to liquidity, again, the whole idea is the fundamental concept of supply and demand. What I try to do on the MD Trader/Dome/Matrix/Price ladder, etc. is to figure out 1) which side is in charge and wants to move the market and 2) in order to do that, how/where/when they are going to find the liquidity to do that?

Take a look at the attached MD Trader from the other day on the 6E: now, just because size is stacked on the ask does not mean there are “more sellers” and the price will go down. In this case, it turned out to be that way, but the key/hint is the fact that HOD was 1.3819! Do you understand why that’s an important hint?

Take a look at the attached basic chart for those who use charts: do you see how it correlates to the size stacked on the ask at the same level as the last swing? You bet it traded down to 1.3796 and further!

• dome.jpg
      File size:
      48.4 KB
      Views:
    #52     Nov 16, 2011
  3. And the chart:

#53     Nov 16, 2011
  4. the1

the1

This is not something you can accomplish like turning on switch. You have to grow into these types of numbers. The OP is trading very well and I suspect within his comfort level. The larger P/L will come with time. Goal #1: Stay in the game.

#54     Nov 16, 2011
  5. the1

the1

Agree with that. I could trade without charts but they are a valuable tool for interpreting price action. However, you can get a feel for that by watching order flow. It's not an easy transition to make, however. A lot of traders have a hard time going from the pit to a screen, for a variety of reasons some of which border on illegal trading.

#55     Nov 16, 2011
  6. fishing

fishing

great work. do sizes in the 6E matter because i think most of them are arbing with spot market, no?

also i see that most of the time you go for a few ticks in the 6E. do you place stop loss in xtrader? there are times it would go straight 20 ticks without looking back. how do you handle it manually?

thanks

#56     Nov 17, 2011
  7. Interesting stuff...

[​IMG]

Having more depth into the highs is the norm. At the high of the day, the offer will be thicker than the bid 9 times out of 10. Reverse for the low.

Still, in your pic, we are a way off the high and that to me looks unusually stacked this far down from the high.

Anyway - the issue of course is to know if those orders above are real or not. Personally, I will wait until it gets there before making a decision or I wait for buyers to start shrinking as it moves towards those offers. Often, it wont make it to where the offers are stacked... the buyers shy away...

#57     Nov 17, 2011
  8. desktop22

desktop22

Well if I'm thinking correctly. Buyers would be in control by showing a heavy offer so they scoop up the selling pressure offers. Buyers needed the liquidity. I may be way off though. If buyers needed the liquidity it would make sense that they would push the liquidity in their favor.

Please help if I'm way off.

Thanks

#58     Nov 17, 2011
  9. desktop22

desktop22

Back again.

IF the sellers want to move the market, they need buyers to come in the area they want to sell. Then they can cause a chain reaction by showing large offers and then picking off the bids, thus causing a chain reaction.

Another thought just occurred. If the shorts at the HOD want to cover their shorts, they need downward pressure so they can actually BUY to cover. Therefore they want liquidity on the downside so they can cover without moving the market against them. SO, show a large offer.

#59     Nov 17, 2011
  10. If they did that every time, why would people keep falling for it? :)

#60     Nov 18, 2011