Can it be done on ET?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by cnms2, Jun 6, 2006.

Should we be allowed to discuss on ET Jack Hershey's methods w/o being harassed?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    60.4%
  3. Abstain

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. I may be wrong about this: I wouldn't think that not allowing others making negative comments against a thread's originator or other posters would be a good idea, as some posts could provide/ supply certain subtle concepts/ ideas that can be evaluated fairly wrong, misleading or questionable from others' views.

Perhaps even a paid sponsor shouldn't fully own any outright/ absolute saying over others.

And that's why we call here forums and need mods who thankfully have done very effective works so far.

#11     Jun 8, 2006
  2. By harassment and disruption, do you mean disagreement? And if so, are you looking for censorship? Indeed, you used the word "disagreement" in connection with the offending parties. That's interesting. As previously pointed out in this thread by another poster, the venerable JH has often chimed in on non-JH threads where he has voiced considerable disagreement. Should the rest of us seek redress on similar grounds to what you are proposing? I think not. So what makes you so special?

As I see it, if you wish to associate with like minded people to the exclusion of all others, then a public forum is probably not the place to do it.

#12     Jun 8, 2006
  3. cnms2

cnms2

Freedom of speech is not cart blanche to harass those you disagree with. That's all this is about.

If you disagree with me, you're not free to harass me trying to convert me. Otherwise you infringe upon my freedom and free speech rights too.

Apply common sense!

#13     Jun 8, 2006
  4. I suppose the task at hand is to determine where disagreement ends and harassment begins. Surely we can agree that mere disagreement and the voicing of this disagreement is not harassment.

#14     Jun 8, 2006
  5. Obviously someone would disagree. :D

#15     Jun 8, 2006
  6. billp

billp

From Elitetrader's numerous posts, there has been and continue to be so on whether Jack Hershey is the real deal. In a public forum there are bound to be disagreements etc and at times things can turn ugly. I can understand why Jack will attract more controversy than most people here on ET.

However, I do view that the number of new threads started recently with the specific aim of bashing Jack is in poor taste.

#16     Jun 8, 2006
  7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The reason why we have Forums and threads is to categorize the discussion so that people can find and participate in discussions with like-minded individuals about specific topics. If you go to a forum on Technical Analysis, you should be able to read posts from people who are into TA, but who may disagree on the relevance of certain indicators or how to apply them. But to visit that forum and see nothing but "TA is for idiots" posts is annoying and counterproductive.

Likewise, these people who have nothing else to say other than "Jack Hershey is an idiot" need to move along and start contributing on topics they actually have a passion for. As long as there are people who are following Jack and can make some sense out of what he's saying, I think they should be entitled to discuss his methods in peace without a barrage of detractors wrecking every thread on the subject.

I mean, I think we would all be pissed if there were no posters on ET other than long-term investors who have nothing else to say other than "short term trading is for idiots". Are they entitled to their opinion? Yes. But is this really the appropriate site for them for them to be continually posting on? No.

So if you're one of these people who really disagree with Jack and you feel like his stuff is worthless, then vote with your feet and stay out of those threads.

#17     Jun 8, 2006
  8. I think this issue is central to the mission of ET and should be kept alive. So I cast my vote.

#18     Jun 20, 2006