Can IB stop stupid and useless features?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by BPtrader, Oct 2, 2009.

1. There's Webtrader and iTWS.

#11     Oct 3, 2009
  2. hajimow

hajimow

That is why I use my own moden and a homemade Fortran code to directly connect to the floor and trade without using any broker:D

Put the joke aside, IB rocks. I will eat my words if you find another better broker. been with IB for 5 years and trade everyday. I also have 15 years of Trading experience and had account with all old brokers. I am also constantly looking or a better broker.

#12     Oct 3, 2009
  3. Although I would love it if IB produced a stripped down TWS (just the features I want please IB - forget these other fucking morons) I can't see it happening.

What is more I will add my vote to the "It might be bloated but it has given me zero real problems in the last year+" group.

#13     Oct 3, 2009
  4. I couldn't think of a better broker than IB. Heck if they only added the London Metal Exchange but they probably have their reasons.

If you don't like TWS either find a substitute (there are multiple front-ends that connect to IB) or find another broker. If you don't like it now chances are you won't like it much better in 2 years.

Endless crying how terrible IB is won't make it any better.

#14     Oct 3, 2009
  5. +1

"People that like these stupid features are the IB programmers because it’s their job security. More garbage they create more they are paid."

It 's just what I said before , the right-out- of- college geniuses at IB tech department are only interested in building the most advanced platform among online brokers, they know nothing about trading and could care less whether you make money or lose it with their
    POSoftware. These incompetents released a new version that will not even let you place an order.

#15     Oct 5, 2009
  6. zdreg

zdreg

#16     Oct 5, 2009
  7. and yet there is no better alternative out there.

stop bitching about it, ib is the closest you'd get to the holy grail

#17     Oct 5, 2009
  8. In fact, TWS ist not SO bad.

And I have no problem with additional features, as long as they do not interfere with mission critical functions, like placing and transmitting orders.

In one of the more recent versions, IB introduced a contract and dollar size limit for orders. While this feature may be useful, they chose to enable it BY DEFAULT when updating TWS.

The result: As I tried to submit a bracket order which was well beyond both limits, I was confronted with no less than SIX popups windows (two for each order), each one requiring confirmation. In the end, order placement was delayed by about 15 seconds, which resulted in a significant worse entry price.

Such an approach is simply irresponsible. I talked to customer support about it, but all they could say was "IB had reasons to do this, it's corporate strategy. You should always read the release notes".

One should imagine car manufacturers using a similiar approch: Like, maybe, switching gas and brake pedals, because "it's corporate strategy". Makes no sense, does it?

#18     Oct 5, 2009
  9. Why are people in love with IB ? It's like the buy- the- dips- to- the -moon crowd. One day when they get their a$$ handed to them (with the kind of shit described above) they will start singing a different tune. And that will happen because TWS is a timebomb.
    If you are doing business with someone , and your broker in particular, you should have zero tolerance for incompetence,
    arrogance and disrespect for your time and money. And if there is
    no alternative (which isn't true, there are always alternatives) then you get on their back and don't cut them any slack until you obtain satisfaction.

#19     Oct 5, 2009
  10. maxpi

maxpi

If another broker's API is reliable I'll switch to them at some convenient point... the complaints I see about OEC are with the data.. so I'll get a good data provider that doesn't slow down at busy times.. meanwhile I'm using IB and rarely looking at the TWS ugly thing, ye godz that thing is ugly, and indeed, I do believe it's a ticking time bomb for every single user of it...

#20     Oct 5, 2009