can IB go bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Vishnu, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Definitely impressive.

I think you are teaching people the best lesson in trading: Systems that actually work, no one will talk about. If you were trying to sell the system or write books about it, chances are it sucks. Timber Hill keeps a very tight lid on what they do, and it was pretty apparent to everyone down there that it was making money.

Those who cannot do, teach. Those who can do, would die before they tell you.

But, as hypocritical as this may sound, if you guys ever put out a book about what you do, I would be in the front of the line to buy it.:)

Thanks def!

#21     Jan 28, 2002
    nzbryant likes this.
  2. def

def Sponsor

i can't talk much about our trading but i can say from reading the firms history you'd see a commitment to technology, an ability to think outside of the box and not to fear going against the grain. this direction comes from the top and the chairman leads by example.

#22     Jan 28, 2002
    nzbryant likes this.
  3. Jeffo

Jeffo

If Timberhill is backing them up so much, why did IB have to offer notes?

#23     Jan 29, 2002
  4. I am guessing that the notes are used to raise capital for the holding company.

IB is probably either (1) locking in low rates, (2) arbing the interest rate curve by borrowing from customers and lending on the market (i.e., by some type of arbitrage), or (3) just trying to experiment to see the level of interest IB's customers have in buying notes and other private placement securities.

#24     Jan 29, 2002
  5. just wordering. what happen if IB file bankrupt? do we lost all our money?:confused:

#25     Feb 6, 2002
  6. def

def Sponsor

trading4life,

as IB is financially very strong (read the text of this thread) and with its requirement to have margin up front before a trade, the chances of this happening are very remote.

Nevertheless, IB has SIPC insurance and supplemental insurance on equity accounts for 10 million USD. All client accounts are segregated, etc. etc.

Many brokerages have additional insurance and other safeguards. Thus if you are dealing with a reputable broker that goes bankrupt the odds are you will get your money back.

#26     Feb 6, 2002
  7. Thanks for the answer. I just opened a account with IB and going to transfer $400,000 USD to the account, after your pose I feel better. thanks.

#27     Feb 6, 2002