Can I Use My MacBook Pro As A Monitor For My New Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ironchef, Dec 22, 2019.

1. ironchef

ironchef

I recently bought a Mac Mini as a home version of my MacBook Pro. It is the latest version so has a faster 3.0 GHz 6 core processor compared to my MacBook's 2.2 GHz 4 core.

Indeed in benchmark test of my BSM calculations, it is about 50% faster, indicating EXCEL VBA is single thread and depending only on processor speed.

My question is when I travel, it is not practical to bring the Mac Mini, the MacBook and a monitor with me. Please can you help me figure out how to use my MacBook as the monitor for Mac Mini.

I googled but could not find an answer that I could understand and implement easily.

Thank you.

2. Voron77

Voron77

What year is your MB Pro?

3. ZBZB

ZBZB

4. ironchef

ironchef

5. ironchef

ironchef

2015. Bought in early 2016.

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

post a query

7. southall

southall

You can use screen sharing while the mac mini is connected to your network.

But if the mini has connection problems then you cant login to fix it.

Cheap 7 inch or 10 inch hdmi monitors can be found on amazon. Resolution is not very high, but you can use them if you cant connect.

ironchef likes this.
  8. imjohn

imjohn

Presently, Apple doesn’t offer a way to turn your MacBook Pro into a monitor for your Mac mini.

Some iMacs could be used as externals by way of target display mode, but only with macOS High Sierra or earlier. Latest OS doesn’t support it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

What you are trying to accomplish is possible. But requires secondary software/hardware https://lunadisplay.com/ sounds like what you’re looking for. I’ve never tried it, so no further comment

ironchef likes this.
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Thank you for your response. I think buying and carrying a small cheap monitor may be the only answer.

The reason I am looking at this is I travel a lot and often to places with no secured internet connections. The only secured connectivity is through my iPhone hotspot. The Mac Mini is a more capable computer than my MacBook and is very convenient to carry around, without a monitor that is.

10. ironchef

ironchef

Another related question:

Can I display my iPhone screen on a laptop/iPad/monitor...?

#10     Dec 23, 2019