Can I trade pit-traded commodities with Interactive Brokers?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Vienna, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Vienna

Vienna

Probably a silly question, but can I trade only ELECTRONIC futures with IB or also pit-traded ones, such as Corn? Can't seem to clarify this question from their "products" info area....

Thanks.

2. Vienna

Vienna

?

3. dcvtss

dcvtss

I don't know if you are aware but the grains are trading side by side on ECBOT since I believe last summer.

I'm not 100% sure but I think IB is all automated and only electronic (or side by side) contracts can be traded.

4. Vienna

Vienna

Yes, am aware, however, liquidity is poor in some of the electronic traded ones... so I am looking for the answer if I can trade pit-traded on IB as well or if I need another broker.

5. ids

ids

The answer is positive. You can trade both electronic and pit CBOT futures with us.

6. Vienna

Vienna

Thank you. Am confused about the symbols ZW, ZC, ZS... they are the symbols for the electronically traded grains and oilseeds (correct?), but they also seem to be floor traded ACE? What exactly is the difference?

Also, what is the general consensus; are all these commodities going electronic, and is the pit slowly going to disappear? I know that Hogs and Cattle are not liquid enough on the electronic exchange right now, is that expected to change?

7. ids

ids

The difference is in exchange name CBOT is pit ECBOT is electronic. Meats are traded on CME and GLOBEX. IB symbols are same and contracts are fungible.

8. Vienna

Vienna

OK. So what must I do to trade these contracts with IB- subscribe to the CME and CBOT data?

9. ids

ids

Data subscription is optional. If you have other sources, you can use them.

10. Vienna

Vienna

I have esignal for my charting. How would that work? I dont need IB charts, but I need to enter and exit trades with IB... well, actually with Buttontrader through IB

#10     Feb 26, 2007