Can I run a PCI-E and PCI card together for 3 monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1C5, Mar 26, 2006.

1. 1C5

1C5

I have a Dell desktop (Dimension 8400) and would like to run 3 monitors from it.

I have 1 PCI-E slot and 3 PCI slots.

Can I run 1 video card for 2 monitors in the PCI-E slot and a 2nd video card in the PCI slot for the 3rd monitor?

Should the video cards be from the same company or does that not matter?

Thanks.

2. gnome

gnome

1. Yes, you can do that.
    2. Yes, it matters. You usually avoid conflicts by using multi-card from the same maker, but many other alternatives are possible.

It you tell us the brand and model of your current PCIE card, someone here will be able to tell you what card they have that works with that.

3. 1C5

1C5

Ok, hope someone can help me with this setup.

I ordered the Dell 3007 monitor and the GeForce 7800GTX PCI-E card with it.

For the 2nd card I am looking at a GeForce FX 5200 PCI.

Thanks for the reply and the help!

4. gnome

gnome

That should work. They both use the same universal driver.

5. It worked out fine for me.

I bought a dual monitor "PCI" graphics card for my other PCI slot.

I purchased a card from the same maker as the card that is in my PCI-E slot and it works fine.

6. T3-Jeff

T3-Jeff T3 Trading Group

I have a dell 4700 with the Radeon x300 SE PCI Express Card (dual monitor). So I can just put in another dual monitor PCI card into an empty slot and now run 4 monitors off of the one computer?? I didn't know you could have two video cards installed on the same computer. If so, does anyone know a good PCI card that plays nice with my Radeon? Thanks in advance, Jeff

7. gnome

gnome

1. You can have as many video cards as you have slots for them.

2. Suggest you stick to *genuine* ATI video card for additional ones. (No 3rd-party cards in multi-card.. just asking for trouble.) Any Radeon card which fits into an available slot should work just fine with your x300.

8. T3-Jeff

T3-Jeff T3 Trading Group

thanks gnome...I had no idea you could do that!

Jeff

9. gnome

gnome

Shoot! Been able to do it since Win98. My first multi-card was 4 singleheads... one of which was also a TV tuner. Ran it on Win98 for 3 years with nary a hitch.

10. Catoosa

Catoosa

At one time I was running 7 video cards in one PC under Win 98. Worked great.

#10     Mar 27, 2006