Can I put faster than required memory in my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mmm, Oct 3, 2005.

1. mmm

mmm

Greetings,

I'm seeking some hardware advice regarding memory.

My 3 year old laptop has the following specs for a compatible 512MB memory card: DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR266 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64

I just happen to have a 512MB card that is rated for faster speed, but it came from a more modern laptop. The specs for this memory card are: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64
    What does this mean?

Both are 200-pin SODIMM cards.

The only difference appears to be speed related.

Will this faster card be compatible with my computer (which takes slower memory)?

Can I pop it in without causing damage to the computer or the card if it turns out not to be compatible?

Thanks.

-- MMM

2. gnome

gnome

Probably not worth the effort. Either it won't work at all, or it will work only at PC2100 speed.

You could check with the laptop maker and see if it will run the faster memory.

3. mmm

mmm

I don' t mind if it won't work. I already have the PC2700 card in my possession.

I just don't want to mess up my computer, or the card, by sticking it into my PC just to see what would happen.

Any possibility of damage to either if I pop it in to see what happens?

Thanks.

-- MMM

4. gnome

gnome

There *probably* wouldn't be a risk of damage, but to be safe check with laptop maker beforehand.

5. mmm

mmm

Good idea, thanks.

6. Based on what you have described, there is no chance of damage and it should run at the slower PC2100 speed just fine.

7. Schaefer

Schaefer

It will run at PC2100 speed :)

8. mmm

mmm

My computer's manufacturer's technical support insists that this computer's motherboard might fail with PC2700 RAM ... so I might pass on this experiment after all.

Thanks all for your time.

9. LOL, its the PC that determines the clock speed of memory, the PC will clock it at the lower speed. What do they think the difference is between PC2100 and PC2700 memory chips?

Example: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-53094

"Hardware Compatibility

The PC2700 CL2.5 Non-ParityDDR SDRAM SODIMM Memory is supported on any ThinkPad systems that support PC2100 memory and the following systems:"

10. mmm

mmm

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd given how numerous other places on the web says you can put in faster speed memory, but they were adamant about this. I'll dig a big more about it.

#10     Oct 3, 2005