Can I get in trouble for this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TIMMY57, Nov 2, 2008.

1. TIMMY57

TIMMY57

I hope no oe is offended that is has nothing to do w/ trading, but I figure i'll post it anyway.

Can I Get in Trouble Playing an Online Poker Site That is Banned in the US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is this online poker site X. Due to legislation that was passed X is no longer allowing US customers. If you try to sign up & your IP address is from the US they will not allow this.

What I'm thinking of doing is setting up a server in canada. I will log into my computer in canada from the US and play on this site

Would this be illegal & could I face any criminal time? or if I got caught would they just close my account?

Thanks

2. omarmedia

omarmedia

The FBI will be arriving at your house within 5 minutes. Run.

3. See you in Guantanamo...

TERRORIST

4. TIMMY57

TIMMY57

I do appreciate the commentary :) but in all seriousness can I get in trouble.

Also I hope this gets answered soon as the forum police will probably move to this to chit chat where no one looks

5. It is against US Laws so yes you can get in trouble. Don't know if they will enforce it though, where it sits on the priority list.

6. achilles28

achilles28

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Offshore internet-based gambling is illegal because the Government can't tax it?

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

A little jail time never hurt anyone.
    Just think of it as a character building experience.

When you go in though I wouldn't tell your fellow inmates you're in for internet gambling though.
    Probably better to tell them you're that chainsaw massacre guy instead.
    It's a respect thing.

8. telozo

telozo

I think (didn't do much research, but I know guys that play online with real money), it is illegal for an internet gambling site to accept money from US residents. The burden is on them, and not on the player. Once you get your money in, and there are ways, just make sure you pay your taxes when you get money out (if you win any:D ), and you should be fine.

9. I could be wrong but from what I understand...it's NOT illegal to gamble at those non-US based "offshore" sites. It's only illegal IN THE US to process/accept payments for *US BASED RESIDENTS*.

I don't believe that law explicitly bars us residents from gambling.

If anyone has info to the contrary, please post.

Now, if you were setting up a server in Canada to accept payments from US based gamblers, well, that't be a different story and you'd be caught/shut down in a short time.

I also see a chicken shit society in the US afraid of EVERYTHING! Fuck, for a country that claims to have "freedom", everybody acts like the gestapo/KGB is going to fry their ass should they do something half questionable. Talk about a paranoid society where government has so far succeeded in making many act like a bunch of robots!

10. Get ready for a knock soon.

#10     Nov 2, 2008