Can I Get A Job As A Proprietary Trader?????

Discussion in 'Trading' started by YoungNAmbitious, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Hi Everyone,

I am about to graduate from a mediocre college. On the Upside though I am a very strong chess player and play professional quality poker. Think anybody will care about that? I'm going to move back to NY where I am from. My only work experience (outside professional poker) is that i taught chess in NY for about 2 years. So what do you think, will anyone hire me?????

Thanks For Any Response,

Donny

PS I'm 24 for what that's worth

2. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

look at yourself as a trade... from a recruiters point of view... would your risk/reward ratio be in favor or against the recruiter???

3. Vishnu

Vishnu

one time I was playing chess out of what used to be Liberty Plaza (and is now a big hole in the ground). A lot of traders used to play there and one time a guy was asking the players if they wanted to be traders. Since chess is more important everybody obviously ignored him. A week later the plaza blew up. But that's another story.

4. LOL...

5. young,

that is a great background for a starting trader. email or private message don bright or rtharp, they should be able to get you on the right track.

best,

surf:)

6. yeah I wish I was good at chess. I thought I was good until I went to college and played against real players.

7. rs7

rs7

When did hiring for a firm, I actually DID try and ascertain if the applicant was a poker player. I believe that it is one of the better indicators, or qualifications of a trader's potential. There really aren't that many. I have seen that the quality of education hasn't been a great determining factor. Nor has intelligence. Nor age (although the very youngest and very oldest seemed not to have been ideal candidates). Confidence and a good attitude were important. And a good degree of humility was a plus. A new trader must be open to learning from everyone. An arrogant trainee can have a hard time putting aside their preconceptions.

I don't think chess is relevant. Perhaps a good chess player would make a fine mutual fund manager, or fundamental analyst, but for traders, discipline and quick decision making are of primary importance. Just like poker.

8. Vishnu

Vishnu

>> I don't think chess is relevant. Perhaps a good chess player would make a fine mutual fund manager, or fundamental analyst, but for traders, discipline and quick decision making are of primary importance. Just like poker.

________

You've obviously never played blitz chess in Washington Sq Park.

9. rs7

rs7

That is true! And so, maybe that is the best qualification of all. :)

10. Yup. That plus a check for $5K should get you in at any prop firm.:D

#10     Oct 14, 2002