Can I continue trading for living?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IT-EarlyRetired, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Let me explain in simple terms how the market works, contrary to the opinion of some here. The big traders use two terms to describe ALL investors and traders... Smart Money & Dumb Money. They love it when you don't know/think you are trading against them and every failed move you have described above is exactly as they set it up. You statements add up to Dumb Money thinking.

You made 15% in a short period so 25% in a year should be a breeze; only problem was you blew up. Here's a reality check: if you can be a trader/investor making 25% a year, quit what you are doing and start managing other peoples money - they will throw it at you gladly. You'll be among the very best performers who have decades of experience trading various market scenarios. And you will do it with an exceptionally short learning curve after making a bundle of naive mistakes. Then you can write a book on how you did it.

While being around the top of the investor performance tables is one thing and 25% PA will put you up there, at the same time being able to cut it as a trader is quite another. But some here will tell you are not trading against the most ruthless, cunning competition… just yourself. Friend, when it to comes to money, you are in the lion’s den and you are dinner.

Just keep thinking as you do, doing as you have done and watch what happens when the market does it's next, "Well I didn't expect that!" move. No harm in dreaming so long as you don't think it's real... you have not paid you dues but one way or another if you continue you sure will.

#51     Apr 21, 2008
  2. IT-EarlyRetired:

you appear to invest in the word 'investing' irrational meanings
    investing gurantees profit
    investing excludes gambling
    investing means correct thinking
    investing equals success

but your investing has returned
    " I've been suffered major anxiety depression these two months.
    I have all the symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder.
    I can't even manage my daily life well.
    I've never had this horrible experiences ever.
    Now I can only pray that I won't have physical problems coming soon."

IT-EarlyRetired + investing = disaster failure crisis . . . what don't you understand ?

#52     Apr 21, 2008

3. IF this is not a troll here are my 2 cents:

I feel what you are going through. Depression and Anxieties are twin demons that need to be addressed first. Try to trade only when you feel confident and well. If you must do very carefully and keep your trading to minimum and learn as much as you can.

Feeling right is more important than trading. If your mind is upset your will not be able to trade well. With the months of spring hopefully you will feel better soon.

#53     Apr 21, 2008
  4. Seriously, what have you been doing for the past four years?

"I got laid off from a giant telecom R&D in NJ four year ago in a major corporate downsize."

#54     Apr 21, 2008
  5. Right-Always listen to a newbie for that kind of advice. LMAO! Trapstar--listen son, go and spend about 8-10 years in these markets before coming around and trying to be someone. You only look foolish.

#55     Apr 21, 2008
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

I'd go with this one.... your best odds with least amount of risk....but then again it's your choice...peace and good luck

#56     Apr 23, 2008
  7. Get a job after the market closes,study the markets for a few years and protect your capital at all cost while you learn. You can either be broke at 55 or have 5 years of market experience and a nice sized stake to get going with, your choice.

#57     Apr 23, 2008
  8. SH_DW

SH_DW

College? My daughter is in college and doing well w loans!

I kick her a few dollars here +there when I FEEL like it.. no OBLIGATION!! She is in India now, just came back from the Himalayas and doesn't screw around w drinking or drugs!!

Guess what.. focus on yourself FIRST! Get your own act together or you will not be well enough to see your grandchildren. BELIEVE me when I say .. your children will respect you MORE when you respect yourself and let them grow up!

That said.. I would not attempt trading now.. find some work to do where you see others who are MUCH worse off than you are.. you will appreciate your BLESSINGS.

Take care, be well +may God Bless You on your journey!

Mh

#58     Apr 23, 2008