Can I continue trading for living?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IT-EarlyRetired, Apr 20, 2008.

1. From your current situation, you stated yourself that you were an emotional wreck and that trading has caused a lot of stress. Why is there stress? I guess, because you are relying on trading money to live and can't take losses. When these losses happen, I guess you are thinking how am I going to live (buy food and pay the rent) or pay back my loan. I don't think anyone who trades for a living should be stressed out. When losses happen you shouldn't feel a thing or take it in a good light and ignore it and evaluate yourself in how you came about losing the trade in the first place.

According to your own words, "I've been suffered major anxiety depression these two months. I have all the symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. I can't even manage my daily life well" You can't possibly trade when you have depression. Depression causes a lot of symptoms, eating + sleeping problems, negativity, and a tendency not to think straight and focus properly. I would stop trading right away and focus on finding another job. If you still want to pursue trading, I would read up on more books and focus on developing a trading methodology, money management system, and a psychological plan to deal with trading for living. I would also suggest that you go on a vacation to relieve some of your depression and take a break from everything.

Also, you are trading on an IRA account. You can't take that money out until your 59.5 or live on it without paying tax penalties. An IRA should be used as a nest egg (backup plan) and not as a trading (speculative) account. I would suggest you go long some stocks that have been underperforming and put it in your longterm IRA account, i.e. GE.

#11     Apr 20, 2008
  2. bstay

bstay

Almost everyone comes into trading with the determination to "make it", some willing to spend on education and other resources to learn a second career.

If I cannot discourage you from trading, and jobs are not forthcoming, then taking out $30K to $50K to restart a new account using a professional trading platform/broker and be prepared to lose this money. The rest of your money should not be risked in active trading, as the learning process may take anything from 6 mths to 2yrs.

It is not about the size of your account to make big money. Even if you have $1million in total assets .... you still won't be able to trade for a living. Without an edge, you will simply lose the money longterm no matter how much you have.

With the $30K to $50K, you should find a trading platform/broker that is easier to trade than IRA. Trade small (very hard to do when u need to make big money quick), search out education, and most importantly find an edge. Losing is part of the game but you must lose small. Proper money management, but without an edge, will only keep you trading for a longer period, eventually blowing out the account.

When you can consistently make money with the $50K account, and you know your methods are sound and profitable, only then u increase your trading size for a higher return. The rush to trade huge size and then lose huge sums will kick you out of the game faster.

About the anxiety/depression, it happens to people i know and they overcome by realizing that they still have family/friends/savings to continue living, and not "hopeless" as the mind suggested. You have to be prepared to lose the $50K over the next year or two, and then re-evaluate what you want to do at that later period. In other words, likely no income for next two years.

Regards,

#12     Apr 20, 2008
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

invest 1K of your IRA into Rydex inverse fund
    get a job.
    network sector is growing, you can search a school online job posting.
    keep them liquid. http://bankrate.com/brm/rate/deposits_home.asp
    tell her it's never too early to start looking for a loan.
    yes, after you have done all the above.:D

#13     Apr 20, 2008
  4. This is one of the best quotes of the week and deserves to be repeated over and over again until at least it makes an impression.

I can't speaking for any other situation in life, but your enegy in the markets is the guy staring you in the mirror (belive it or not).

The OP must:

1. Get rid of all the other bullshit that keeps him from focusing on the markets ... the markets don't care about your story, period.

2. Get your technique down to the point where you understand it, know that it works, makes sense, and is sustainable over the long-haul.

3. Begin the real work of trading ... disciplining your mind. That's the real reason why most traders fail (assuming that they make it through the first two traps that I mentioned), no mental discipline.

#14     Apr 20, 2008
  5. Great advice, especially about:

a) getting a job, and
    b) telling your kid it's time to start being responsible for herself

Or you can keep going down the road that you've choosen ... just remember, it's a choice.

#15     Apr 20, 2008
  6. hi IT-EarlyRetired, believe you are female, single parent ? and judging by the vocabulary and
    spelling in your post, is English a second language for you ?

I'm with the others — 'get a job'

but first, you must make the decision to STOP TRADING

a lot of your stress and anxiety should evaporate once you've settled on that decision, to
    stop trading, to forget about trading for the present

then, take a holiday for a couple of weeks, use some of your money to invest in yourself -
    see if you can find a low cost cruise if that appeals

think about fulltime employment, what you'd like to do, companies where you'd like to be
    employed. after you've returned from your holiday start your job search, remember that
    finding employment is regarded as a fulltime job in itself so you have to put in your 8-10
    hours a day, setup a regular schedule, visit your local library for lots of reference material
    and don't be concerned about your age, many employers want mature employees
    as long as you can pay your bills plus have some left over, you're ahead of the game and
    being employed will provide you with a lot of psychological and emotional stability

try Suze Orman re finances, when you're feeling healthy and happy again - and dancing
    PM me

#16     Apr 20, 2008
  7. sg20

sg20

You should be mostly on cash giving the market condition... For starter, I think you can trade stocks that don't need a lot of technical skills, stocks that are moving in channels, range bounds, or swings; they are very easy to find and easy to trade. What you need to do is look for stocks that just made a reversal after touching the trend line, if exitsted, or after EMA or MACD crossover... previous stock patterns will tell you if it's range bound or not, and always keep in mind to cut your loser fast and let the winners run. Stay diversified and trade more than 5 stock in many different sectors to minimize your risks.

There are more tips and tricks but I think you'll need to take it easy and do a lot research and absorb all you can before going fulltime.

Good luck,

sg20

#17     Apr 20, 2008
  8. Rocko1

Rocko1

Yes it is possible to trade profitably, but it sounds like time invested in some proper self-learning of how the markets work would benefit you the most at this time.

Technical analysis isn't the key to everything by the way. You could also look into arbitrage, and connections between stocks and derivatives and etc.

All the best.

#18     Apr 20, 2008
  9. Pivotas

Pivotas

Print this out and display prominently next to your monitor.

#19     Apr 20, 2008
  10. Odds say that you have a good chance of blowing most of that money. THis is based on what happens to most traders. Everyone thinks they are different, but they aren't

Some will tell you differently, but you look like a prime target to blow through $100K or more over the near term.

#20     Apr 20, 2008