can i buy stocks that are not whole number?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ron_v12, Nov 4, 2019.

1. ron_v12

ron_v12

hey guys a noob question here, can i buy lets say for example 48 stocks? or the stock amount have to be a round number like 50 or 40.
    thanks for answers!

2. Nobert

Nobert

48, 84, 4, 8, you name it.

90% of brokers should provide that, at least bucket shops in Europe do. Like Etoro or Plus500.

Last winter i had a conversation, with one random guy in hostel ;
    based on his knowledge, the lowest amount, required amount to open brokerage account was $50 000 both US and EU, and the lowest amount of stock per transaction had to be >1000.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. guru

guru

Nobert likes this.
  4. Yes, you can and you should be able to. Even you can also buy only 1 stock.

Nobert likes this.
  5. WealthSignals

WealthSignals Sponsor

Right. A "full lot" is 100 shares and any number of shares traded below 100 is considered an "odd lot".

Now here's something not everyone knows: When you look at chart data with open, high, low, and close prices, did you know that odd lots do not contribute to that chart data? Example: if the highest full-lot trade for a day was $139.14 but the highest odd-lot trade was $139.20, you will see $139.14 as the high on the chart. I think this was due to a past convention of not posting odd-lot trades to the TOS, Time of Sales. Although you can see odd-lot trades on the TOS nowadays, data providers seem to be sticking to that past convention. Robert -

6. Nobert

Nobert

Then, would it be right to say, that on very expensive stocks like AMZN, retail activity isn't so visible ?

7. WealthSignals

WealthSignals Sponsor

That's a good corollary - certainly the small retail trader flies under the "chart radar" ;)

Nobert likes this.