Can completely discretionary traders every succeed?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by kiwi_trader, Aug 8, 2005.

What is your trading style?

1. I'm a purely discretionary trader

78 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. I have rules and apply a little intuition

116 vote(s)
    48.9%
  3. I trade my rules 100%

20 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. I'm a systems trader

23 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Or maybe it is they don't want to tell you what they are doing.

#21     Aug 9, 2005
  2. I think it could be more of a problem of convictions... It works for them because it is theirs.

#22     Aug 9, 2005
  3. I'm wondering why you compare shifting religions to shifting trading operations and plans of extracting profit from markets?

It is much easier to change a point of view and direction of a trade then to switch religions.

Also, you don't need proof or statements, what you need is a better grasp and application of the english language and the understanding that anything can be said about something but it does not mean you have to say it.

Broad terms such as discretionary belong on fox news programs.

Now, if you can solve the fourth dimension of time and space and how it relates to already fluent theories of quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity then you may start a trading thread.

It's driving me mad trying to figure it out perhaps your wisdom is better served for this purpose instead of writing gibberish.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

#23     Aug 9, 2005
  4. I think it is good to know someone can be highly successful in ways that I thought unlikely. I always think that doing the usual things everybody does is a dangerous thing and that goes to trading style or method.

#24     Aug 9, 2005
  5. Holmes

Holmes

Correct.

Trading without a plan eventually leads to the poorhouse, me thinks that has been proven time over time.

Sherlock

:cool:

#25     Aug 9, 2005
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Good post steen. Thanks for further explanation. Goes to show that "discretionary" trading doesn't mean feeling/magic/mysticism. Seems like some who claim to be "discretionary traders" are slightly overrating themselves/fooling themselves.

I had a small gain today. Believe me, magic had nothing to do with it. I followed my rules, just like those skilled "discretionary traders" apparently do.

I'm not a real smart guy, but I didn't believe that fortune teller I referred to earlier either. For all the newbs looking in, it ain't about magic or "feelings", it's about dedication, an edge, etc. That's the real "magic".:cool:

Michael Jordan just made things look like magic......Or was that Earvin Johnson? Or both of them? Oh, my, it's all so confusing!!! :confused: / :D

#26     Aug 9, 2005
  7. I thought in Brett's example.... There is a "feel" element that cannot be verbalized even though the trader can describe what they are doing... I would imagine the same trader can see what we "thought" is the same things at different times and arrive at different conclusions.
    :confused:

#27     Aug 9, 2005
    #28     Aug 9, 2005
  9. BSAM

BSAM

He did indeed, but he wasn't trying to imply mysticism, as others seem to express from time to time.

#29     Aug 9, 2005
  10. BSAM

BSAM

#30     Aug 9, 2005