Can automated trading system be profitable?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by newguy05, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Auto Trading is short term and and if it moves the market, we have a problem!

#21     Jan 24, 2008
  2. thanks guys but what i am really trying to understand is are trading bots using fundamentally different approach to trade than humans. I am not looking for specific strategies etc.. (although if you wanna share that's fine )

For example, ta chart pattern, yes you can program that easily into one of many opensource filters out there to search for them.

But is that the right approach? do trader bots use chart pattern in general or does that just not work after trials, and most bots use tape reading etc...

Basically once a general correct approach is identified (ie chart pattern or tape reading or some other completely different model), then it becomes much easier to dive into the research on the actual strategies / patterns to use based on the approach.

#22     Jan 25, 2008
  3. nice site! heh the top script there says 500% return, and i used their backtesting on a few symbols and it looks interesting, all the losses were concentrated in a few months period(to be tuned?) while the rest are profitable, and it's only a 1 page script.

Not too clear on what syntax they are using but definitly a good place to start. thanks!

#23     Jan 25, 2008
  4. Impossible to automate random buy sells based on your gut. ----->>> Exactly why automated systems work for a while and then stop working. There is no substitute for experience and judgment. No two setups are ever alike. It's the TRADER that makes money, not his/her SYSTEM.

#24     Jan 25, 2008

5. you'll never make $$$ on a 5:1 risk/reward. How about 1:2 risk/reward ... that makes sense -- but then you need a 'good idea' to make it test well.

#25     Jan 25, 2008
  6. forex-forex: you must be joking!

#26     Jan 26, 2008
  7. sam mcgee: i'd love to compete with an automated chart pattern trading system. really. i would love to humiliate it. will it also do position management and be aware when to do it and when not to? like, you know, news is coming and you'd better seal your shit tight? anyways, just show me ONE piece of software that identifies patterns correctly and it's fine by me.

#27     Jan 26, 2008
  8. Actually, there is a company in Kansas City named tradebot that buys and sells 20 percent of nasd stocks by computer programmed by a floor trader of commodities and a computer science professional...all the same person....look it up. Now the firm is owned by the majors and its life span is questionable.

#28     Jan 26, 2008
  9. #29     Jan 26, 2008
  10. rosy2

rosy2

i agree with Sky123987 and frostengine. You can automate almost everything. You can even automate a random buy/sell using a rand() function of choice. The big wallstreet firms and market makers are using automated trading strategies. if you want a human invovled you need to go into the OTC or structured product area where people still use phones and faxes.

alex.samant: can you define double tops in a very detailed manner and then refine that definition in a more detailed manner a few times. After that you will basically have you double top strategy

#30     Jan 26, 2008