Can anyone recommend a trading forum that uses probationary periods to limit spam?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by cashonly, Sep 21, 2006.

1. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Can anyone recommend a trading forum that uses probationary periods to limit spam?

This is getting ridiculous!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. BSAM

BSAM

Yo Cash---Ya think maybe you're a wee bit out of line with the tone of your post? (May we assume you posted in frustration?)

3. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Definitely frustrated as I started a thread on this subject about a week ago when we last got heavy spamming and no substantive comments of action have occurred since that time.

Good traders are busy and they don't have time for crap. If we want them to be part of our community, we have to keep it free of this crap or they'll just go away. As a trader, I don't like to see the good people leave and as a sponsor, Bright doesn't like to see people leave the community either.

Cash

4. I Like the idea of having a time period between posts for the first 10 or so posts, for new members. Perhaps 1 hour between posts. This will stop the ability to post spam acoss multiple forums at once, as well as stop the usual suspects (longshot etc...) from making up new aliases and going on a drunken post binge over the weekend. It will also give moderators a chance to catch the spammers after just one post and ban their usename and IP#. One drawdown is that legitimate new members will not be able to answer questions in a timely manner. Perhaps a note next to the members name reminding everyone that they have limited posting priveleges will enable other members to be patient with them.

I also think it would be a good idea to give all moderators the ability to delete posts and ban users/IP's across multiple forums. This would mean that the chances of a moderator catching and banning a spammer quickly would be greatly enhanced.

5. Do you have any examples of problem posts? What's wrong with the "Complain" button?

6. Go to the Home page RIGHT NOW and you'll see that 2 out of 20 threads are spam. One has been sitting there for 4 hours, another -- over an hour.

The Complain button's action is far too slow. Especially on weekends and overnight in the US time zones. Sometimes hours (= hundreds of thread views) go by after the first complaint, before the problem post is taken care of. You simply can't expect mods to be there 24/7.

7. agree... sthg could be automated here methinks... e.g. where say 2 long-time members use the complain button to report a post/thread as spam, the post/thread wld disappear (as if on 'ignore') from the board and the incriminated poster's rights be suspended for mods to review...

8. I think craigslist.com has that feature were if a certain amount of complaints are recieved the offending post is deleted automatically, no human action required by a moderator. The poster can request to have his post re-posted manually by a moderator if he feels it shouldn't have been deleted.

This would be a good feature that Baron could look into. Maybe 5 unique complaints could auto delete a post? Post could then be restored by a moderator on request by orginal poster.