Can anyone recommend a good options book

Discussion in 'Options' started by clacy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. wayneL

wayneL

Because instant experts get flamed here. :D

#31     Oct 25, 2009
  2. I'm waiting for atticus to make a recommendation.....

#32     Oct 25, 2009
  3. Once you start to have the basics down, I would recommend that you borrow this book from the local library:

"The Complete Guide to Option Selling"
    http://tinyurl.com/ygf5q8t

That is the link to Amazon and it's 1st edition which provides the ability to look inside the book. There is a second edition out.

The reason why I point out this book is that we are all different individuals and maybe it would fit your personality to sell options.

I am in no way saying that selling options is good nor bad, or better than any other strategy. But do believe that you would gain from the perspective of looking at it from the other side (of the trade).

MM

#33     Oct 25, 2009
  4. wayneL

wayneL

I have the definitive answer to this question...

... but you'll have to wait till expiry day - I'll let you know then. :cool:

#34     Oct 25, 2009
  5. If you're just beginning at options, don't read Cottle, Natenburg, Hull or McMillan. They are very good, but a bit more than a beginner can handle.

Start with Wolfinger, Cohen, and Thomsett to get the basics, then move on to more advanced material. Also, don't forget that web has many good sources, as well. The cboe is good, too, especially the Dan Sheridan videos.

Avoid any book or website that shouts "you can make millions by next Wednesday morning", or ones that promote naked selling as if it is a risk free sure thing. These books and sites downplay the risks and ignore the probabilities.

#35     Oct 25, 2009
  6. /
    I have the definitive answer to this question...

... but you'll have to wait till expiry day - I'll let you know then.
    /

I look forward to the answer :)

MM

#36     Oct 25, 2009
  7. Tom1am

Tom1am

No, the best part was how to use all your account margin to sell ATM nakid calls on the 3x etfs, which he strongly recomments.

Wait, I hear the phone ringing, Its my broker, do I have to answer it???:eek:

#37     Oct 26, 2009
  8. #38     Oct 26, 2009
  9. Another vote for Filthy's book. It's very mathematical in the calc and stats sense, but the options side of things actually is very enlightening. Even if you are not a PhD in theoretical physics, the trading analysis and risks are very intuitive.

http://www.amazon.com/Volatility-Tr...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256597425&sr=8-1

Again, this is more for intermediate options traders. The OP may want to stick to all things Cottle

#39     Oct 26, 2009
  10. JC_smith

JC_smith

One of my fav's is Larry McMillan "Options as a strategic investment"

Very good resource book as a refrence not a sit down and read book. Its one to keep on your desk for looking up various strategies and risk profiles.

Hope that helps.

#40     Oct 27, 2009