Can anyone recommend a company to build a workstation?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frompartsunknown, Nov 10, 2018.

1. I agree with you that Dell workstations are reliable. However I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a workstation configured with 8gb ram. I mean a few tabs of chrome and your pretty much smoked in the contiguous memory department. 8gb workstations are definitely in the minority

#11     Nov 12, 2018
  2. Well, they come in 16 & 32G also.

I don't use Chrome, and I rarely use even 3GB including the OS.

#12     Nov 12, 2018
  3. Thanks everyone!

#13     Nov 12, 2018
  4. My view...

1. The majority of workstations are initially offered with 8GB of RAM, not 16. So... try 8GB and if it's not enough, add more.

2. The ones offering units with "16GB" as base, are likely taking advantage of the preconceived notion of what a workstation is supposed to do.. and "16GB is necessary for that ", when it's likely not. (But "mo RAM is mo money".)

3. Since W7, the OS has "tried to maximize the use of RAM" with cache... and is ready to eject "low priority RAM occupiers" as necessary to make room for other required functions. IOW... "having a high percentage of your RAM occupied is intentional and a good thing". No need to keep a significant percentage of your RAM "free" for whatever. The OS has got it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    #14     Nov 13, 2018
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

6. tpg

tpg

I got a computer from tradingcomputers 8 years ago, without a spec of trouble. I had a laptop built so when at home I could have 4 external monitors. Thing runs like a champ. The processor I paid more to upgrade it is just as fast as some of the new Dells and the likes of Dell computers offer today. I am getting ready to get another one that supports 6 monitors, 3 thru a dockingstation and 3 ext ports. I had to say something just because I read a few really bad comments about them. I have never had a problem. Matter of fact I still get the same guy that built it to help when I need something (Nathan). Its been an awesome computer for me.I hope the 2nd one last as long.

#16     Jan 24, 2019
  7. Other than "overclocking the crap" out of the machine to justify charging a higher price, probably no other legit criticism of TradingComputers. (After all, everybody mostly uses the same components.)

Value conscienous as I am (I don't buy "a" computer, I usually buy 5-6 at a time), I'd probably never buy from TradingComputers just because of price. My choice for 10+ years has been Dell Precision from their outlet store.

#17     Jan 26, 2019
  8. Doobs789

Doobs789

9. I have a computer from falcon trading systems. (Tradingcomputers.com). At first there were a couple hiccups, but in all Scott did me justice. I am pretty happy with the 52GT and I went with the skylake. I have 8 screens and for $4800 I’m pretty pleased with performance. The problem I run into is TDAs lack of severs during liquidity events. Other than that. I’m really pleased. I’ve had a Mac, dell, Asus, box systems, and this system is what I was planning on building except the mobo. He put in a different one, but by no means less on performance basis. My 2 cents..

#19     Mar 23, 2019
  10. wartrace

wartrace

#20     Mar 24, 2019