Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hilojack, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Greetings-

I just moved my prop operation from going to office to trading from home. I bought a new Dell Dimension E510 on Ebay and 3 19" flat panel monitors. My problem is this:

the hard drive makes a VERY loud rattling noise and it has gotten worse since I set it up. I am still waiting for the warranty transfer to occur from the EBAY purchaser to me, however, I suspect I might not be covered by the time this occurs, if it hasn't expired already. I don't want to use the computer as I don't want to make the problem worse and clearly I am not techno savvy. Has anyone experienced this sort of problem or have a diagnosis/solution? I would like to get back to trading ASAP and cannot go back to my office. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sounds like a bad HD, sorry. I had a similar problem, though on an old computer, and it turned out to just be a cooling fan. Make sure you get real close to hear the offending part and don't mistake one part for another. Good luck.

Dan

3. I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the cooling fan as well.

It's rubbing up against somthing, easily fixable.

4. Thank you VolPimp. You da man. So I open up the box and am trying to pinpoint the noise and voila! I touch a wire by mistake and the noise stops. Follow the wire to the back of the box and sure enuff, rubbing up against the fan. Move wire back, now she purrs like a kitten. Thanks fellas for your help.

p.s. rest assured i will be getting the exended warranty!