Can anyone explain a carry trade?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by tradersadvocate, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Oh my...

Not all education comes from books.

When you take a position in a currency pair you should either earn or pay the "roll".

The "roll" is the money you earn or pay from being long or short a currency. The amount depends on the differential on overnight rates.

If you get credited less than the rate differential (as per the forward points) you are getting ripped off. If you get charged more than the rate differential you are getting ripped off.

Now, if they are doing something wacky like charging you for leverage then, again, perhaps you should reconsider trading with them altogether.

#11     Nov 7, 2006
  2. You are not telling me anything that I don’t know. My point is that FXsolution is changing the game rules DURING THE GAME, to favor them .It is very unfair and I want to warn other traders.

#12     Nov 8, 2006
  3. this was the genius that was long term credit.

#13     Nov 8, 2006
  4. jordan13

jordan13

the idea of a dealer changing the interest rate is silly. When you open an account you need to ask what methodology they use for tomnext rolls. Memorialize it in an email with the desk or broker. If they change inordinate with respect to commonly published short term rate changes from respective country you need to call them on it and complain to respective SRO.

#14     Nov 9, 2006
  5. zdreg

zdreg