Can anybody recommend a decent health insurer

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by gunslinger, Mar 23, 2007.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

2. Mega Life and Health.

Yea, I know the bs associated with the NASE (National Association of Self Employed), but it's REAL health insurance at a good price. And in my state, Mega is 1 of only 3 providers for major medical insurance.

Spouse and I been with them for over 2yrs. No problems. I pay under $160 mth, Spouse under $200 (shes not as healthy). $2500 combined (me/spouse) deductible, plus RX and dental riders. Only thing I hate is payment method. Unless paying bi-annually or greater, auto bank acct debit or auto CC is only method.

As for the NASE, from time to time I use some the discounts and such. In the end, the minimal membership cost pays for itself.

Just my .02

Osorico

EDIT: correction, combined deductible is $3000

#12     Mar 23, 2007

3. Great idea, checked with my alumni association, so much cheaper than golden rule, tx.

Damn I wish I was back in college.

#13     Mar 23, 2007
  4. Ok from a health insurance pro. Call a local broker. Avoid Mega-Life and Midwest National. They're limited benefit plans. Consider this, if you have a $250,000 claim, you may get coverage for $50k leaving you holding the bag for $200k.

Golden rule is a good company, strong having been bought by United Health Group. Their underwriting is tight so if you have any medical conditions, you could get declined or at least some elimination riders.

Find a local broker who will do the work for you. There's no charge, and if you bypass the broker, there's no discount for you. Check this out. You will need the Powerpoint Viewer to view this slide:

http://www.springshealthplans.com/HealthSlide.pps

Hope this helps.

Christopher Colvin
    President
    http://www.SpringsHealthPlans.com

#14     Mar 24, 2007
  5. I keep seeing Freelancer's Union posters on the Subways in NYC.

It could be worth checking into their group plan.

I find Oxford to be a good company but they are not cheap.

They are many ways to economize in one's daily life but I would not recommend to anyone economizing on insurance.

GC

#15     Mar 24, 2007
  6. Mvic

Mvic

Do these plans allow you to go anywhere (ie Memorial Sloan Kettering if you get cancer or the top surgeon for some operatble disease) to get treatment? Do you need a referral from a Primary care Doc?

#16     Mar 24, 2007