Can a slope which exceeds a value be considered a pattern?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by kmiklas, Jul 22, 2021.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

Assume two price points are taken at time t; say, at USD29.43 at time 0, and 32.78 at time 1.

The slope of these lines, given by the good-ole' fashioned rise/run method is:

Code:
         y2 - y1     32.78 - 29.43     3.35
    m = --------- = --------------- = ------ = 3.35
         x2 - x1         1 - 0           1

If we recognize as a signal a slope greater than 3 between two price points in a time period, is this a pattern? Generally stated: for any two price points, if slope m >= some limit l, in time t, does this constitute a "pattern?"

2. what's more important is if the pattern is predictive of subsequent patterns (autocorrelation or signal)

kmiklas likes this.
  3. Peter8519

Peter8519

I did a similar analysis using regression. I plot the change in m distribution by sector. This distribution profile is similar the daily price change. slope.jpg

longandshort and kmiklas like this.
  4. Girija

Girija

I don't think so but it can confirm trend. Check linear regression slope as an oscillator.

kmiklas likes this.
  5. Girija

Girija

While at it, you may want to read zigzag which simply smooths the brownian model into a st line by connecting maxima and minima at major rotations. Now you have many little lines to deal with and apply your regression indicators or whatever you are thinking of to find potential future entry / exit.

kmiklas and MACD like this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman

Can a slope which exceeds a value be considered a pattern?

No. Think about it, price is a highly random variable, and the lookback period is randomly chosen as well. Why would a 10 day lookback be any better than an 11 day, or 27 day, or 2 day?

You may luck into a lookback period that provides positive expectancy, but that would require lots of careful backtesting to prove so. Probably not worth the time or effort on your part.

longandshort likes this.
  7. easymon1

easymon1

What if it will require three or more points? Any interest there?

8. AFAIK trend followers will constantly review and test lookback periods to measure the strength of the signal. They will typically apply a kalman filter on the initial data to reduce noise. I worked with a team that did this (a handful of PhDs and traders).

9. easymon1

easymon1

Tell us how they did.

10. easymon1

easymon1

#10     Jul 22, 2021