Can a retail trader make money in options on futures?

Discussion in 'Options' started by andrasnm, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Check out the Emini ES options on the electronic markets. The volume/liquidity is going through the roof. As others have said the opportunity is there like anywhere else.

The margin is different, but also more advantageous. And the ability to hedge overnight with the ES is comforting.

Personally I wouldn't touch the floor options for obvious reasons.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/education/webinars/cmeMay2005.html

#11     Apr 26, 2006
  2. Yes.
    IB.
    mainly ES, ZN. Recently trying also EUR and ZG.

Stay electronic. There are big disadvantages for retail traders in the pits. Choose markets to trade based on the liquidity and bid/ask spread.

My impression is that many options on futures markets are gaining rapidly in liquidity....IB deserves a lot of credit for helping this happen.

#12     Apr 26, 2006
  3. I know maybe you are not trading them but what about other commodity markets like crude, gold, silver.....
    Anyone trading options on these??......These are the markets that are being exploded, well a while back that is.......

#13     Apr 26, 2006
  4. I'm not aware Crude has options trading electronically (not via IB, anyway). Gold is ZG I mentioned earlier. I'm sure silver has options as well, but didn't try it.

#14     Apr 26, 2006
  5. ids

ids

No, there are no silver options on CBOT just yet. eCBOT (and IB) will offer it soon.

#15     Apr 26, 2006
  6. dmcw

dmcw Global Futures

My apologies. I was under the impression that IB did not give their clients access to pit markets, including pit options. Since I was not 100% sure, I hedged my reply with 'I think'. It's not really 'misinformation'. I was stating my belief and it was written as such. You should consider getting into politics.

Question: how much does IB charge for a Big SP option, for example?

Best regards,

#16     Apr 27, 2006
  7. MTE

MTE

OptionsWizard,

Do ZN options live up to the liquidity of the underlying contract?

#17     Apr 27, 2006
  8. ids

ids

9. dmcw

dmcw Global Futures

#19     Apr 27, 2006
  10. ids

ids

Bids and asks on floor options are rare guests by obvious reason.

#20     Apr 27, 2006