Can a Graduate Degree from Oxford U help me get a salaried position in trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by FreedomPhighter, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You could consider an internship at Bright Trading. We have programs at BYU, UCLA, and a dozen other schools. You may get course credits as well as a chance to trade with little or no money up front.

"Salaried" jobs are pretty tought to find, and who really wants to have a "job" when you can have the opportunity to be a successful trader.

Feel free to send me an email.....I don't want to get into too many details here on the board.

Don (don@stocktrading.com)

#21     May 29, 2003
  2. Ok...so your new here...

didn't you take the time to spend one little minute to see that nobody else was posting there question in EVERY forum thread?

Had you been a little more observant you would have saw that nobody else was doing what you had planned on doing...

and did.

I'm sure most here aren't psssst at you.

Most are just telling you it's inappropriate to FLOOD different threads with the same message.

Also...Oxford has excellent job placement counselors...

I highly recommend you setup and appointment to talk with one upon your arrival to Oxford.

They will be extremely helpful and setup you up with a mentor.

In fact...contact all companies or firms for possible summer internship programs.

After a few internships...you should be able to identify at that time what specific area you want to begin your career in regardless what science degree you obtain.

Remember this...be more observant and you'll quickly learn the game regardless what the arena is.

NihabaAshi

#22     May 29, 2003
  3. It's not when you are in it.

And anyone worth asking important advice should be given those courtesies

If you are on the level, you are the type that your peers will set up for a fall

#23     May 29, 2003
  4. The answer to your question about salaried jobs is: Debt. I have massive amounts of student loan debt which I need to start making payments on six months after my graduation. So I will require a position that pays a salary (at least at the beginning of my trading career). Thanks for the response.

#24     May 29, 2003
  5. I've got news for you. People from Oxford generally suck at this game. They think they're better than anyone else and can't believe they're getting their ass kicked by Vinny from New York, so they never cover their shorts because they are always "right". Didn't Nick Leeson go to Oxford?

#25     May 29, 2003
  6. Ditch

Ditch

Ok, but why not spend all that time, money and effort on learning to trade in stead of a obtaining a degree in a theoretical study, that will only give you marginal benefits in terms of becoming a successfull, self-employed trader. Trading is a mental game, it's all about controlling your emotions, that's the kind of skill you need to develop.

#26     May 29, 2003
  7. I like your signature profile quote. Thanks for the info. I signed up with about 10 or 20 forums this morning posing the same question and to be honest, I didn't pay much attention to each forum's details because I figured that all forums are the same: you ask questions and if people can help you then they will respond. The responses I have received from the members of this forum have been overwhelmingly negative and uninformative with the exception of a few meaningful responses. Suprisingly, with all of the other forums I signed up with, the exact opposite has been true: the responses I have received have been overwhelmingly positive and informative. Don't know what this means but I hope this forum can be a place where people can ask their questions and not expect negative responses.

Thanks

#27     May 29, 2003
  8. Htrader

Htrader Guest

Its unlikely you will be able to find a salary post in a prop firm, most of the firms require you to post capital, as opposed to receiving it.

However, I'll assume that you have a very good GPA and other credentials which allowed you to get into oxford. If you are truly knowledgable in programming and high-level mathematics I'm sure you could apply to the Sales and Trading divisions of major investment banks and get a decent offer. These banks also hire alot of programmers from top schools to write their trading software.

Like other people have already mentioned, the recruiting/career counseling department at oxford should be more than an adequate resource.

#28     May 29, 2003
  9. thanks. It is unfortunate that anyone would want to set me up for a fall....I thought this forum was supposed to be a place where everyone contributes their knowledge and answers peoples enquiries. Maybe I am wrong....

#29     May 29, 2003
  10. But what if Vinny from New York was to attend Oxford? Then I suppose there would be nothing stopping him right?

Bay Ridge Brooklyn born and raised baby....

I understand your point though....

#30     May 29, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.