Can a Graduate Degree from Oxford U help me get a salaried position in trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by FreedomPhighter, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it. Like I said, I just want to get my foot in the door for interviews; I don't expect to get a job on my educational credentials alone (though I do hope that my resume will stand out amongst the other applicants because of my NYU and Oxford education). I believe I can impress the interviewers once I get the interviews.

Thanks again

#11     May 29, 2003
  2. bzod99

bzod99

Your attempt to explain yourself further may possibly be more obnoxious than your original post. In trading, it is sometimes known as "throwing good money after bad.." Couple of words for you to mull over while you are deciding on which trading firm you'll grace with your presence: Hubris and humility. I think I even heard that Oxford has a dictionary or two, so you may want to look them up...

#12     May 29, 2003
  3. I think in 10 years, your boss at walmart will be impressed with your progress in paying off your student loans

#13     May 29, 2003
  4. I really don't mean to offend anyone. I generally am humble and modest. In fact, I understand that you can only be a successful trader if you ARE humble. I have the feeling that as soon as the market senses your feeling of mastery of it, the market will humble you (see my profile signature) and that means you will lose money. When it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter where you went to school or even if you went to school at all. Like I said, I chose a pure mathematics degree out of intellectual curiosity and not to simply secure a job. However, I believe that the analytical skills I will develop at Oxford will be quite helpful in my trading career.

Please note that I really have nothing to be arrogant about. I am from a quite modest upbringing and am paying for my education primarily through student loans. Every success in my life I have earned with hard work and dedication (unlike the majority of Ivy Leaguers who had everything handed to them on silver platters because of private school enrollment or political influence). I therefore have no choice BUT to be humble, you see?

Thanks

#14     May 29, 2003
  5. Hopefully I will be able to do better than walmart....

#15     May 29, 2003

6. A few hints I can give you in professional communication:

o be brief and to the point.
    o clarify issues, rather than explaining your feelings
    o observe standards of the group you are writing to

#16     May 29, 2003
  7. this guy is mr. market.

cant anyone else see the obvious?

#17     May 29, 2003
  8. Ditch

Ditch

I think, the last thing, that a guy who's looking for a PAID JOB, wants to be is trader.

#18     May 29, 2003
  9. Thanks for the tips. It's a good thing this forum is not a professional communication venue, now isn't it? LOL

#19     May 29, 2003

10. I need a paid job to cover my cost of learning the game. There are some firms which pay salaries and give substantial raises and bonuses based on performance. I can't go the profitibility route....at least not at this stage when I have massive amounts of debt to pay off.

Thanks

#20     May 29, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.