Camarilla Equation - Is it valid?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by pspr, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Hi Funky,

Coming back to your p/l curve, is this the historical result of trading based on your discretionary pivot-based judgements or is this p/l curve generated by simulation of a mechanical - secret of course - implementation?

Thanks for commenting.

nononsense

#31     Oct 16, 2003
  2. funky

funky

this is the p/l of my trading system. i execute the trades, but its purely a black and white set of rules. simple trend following really. the secret is the positioning.

#32     Oct 16, 2003
  3. I never thought to include volatility in the equation. Do you mean something like ATR of bar size in the time frame one trades, or something else?

If willing, I"d appreciate hearing how a person might apply that info. Not looking for secrets, just general principals.

Thx

#33     Oct 16, 2003
  4. secret is positioning? what do u mean by positioning?

#34     Oct 16, 2003
  5. funky

funky

getting into a position to profit off of a move that happens during the day. my system is a simple trend following system (always in the market) using a 1-2-3 reversal (higher high, higher low, lower high, reverse on break of last higher low; or lower low, lower high, higher low, reverse on break of last lower high), except MY 1-2-3 reversal is defined a bit differently ;)

#35     Oct 16, 2003
  6. hmm it must be cuz when i tried the regular i was whipsawed like a whipboy.

#36     Oct 17, 2003
  7. funky

funky

lengthen your time frame.

#37     Oct 17, 2003
  8. Pivot suggest pivoting that is to say litteraly something where market turns around, it doesn't mean top or bottom. So one (the ?) way to trade them is as usual to be patient and wait for the setup to occur: a trading range and a breakout.

#38     Oct 20, 2003
  9. Started traded the pivots (NQ) on the simulator... there are lots of ways to trade them, I'm going to list some and see if you folks have any comments about particular methods:

• breakouts - enter when approaching or just crossing the pivot
    • pullback after breakout - wait for breakout past pivot, then pullback to pivot, enter in original direction of breakout
    • reflection - opposite of breakout - wait till pivot is touched then take position in opposite direction

#39     Oct 28, 2003
  10. JDRower

JDRower

I used to like them but now find they are a distraction.

What seems to help grok the whole picture is a line showing, yesterdays close another for yesterday's high and yesterday's low. Just the Pivot, not R1,S1, M1, M-1 or the rest. They provide hindsight, IMO.

Then I have the average of the first 5-minutes of the day. That and the price action of the first 60-minutes show me the trend for the day 75% of the time.

Finally, the support-resistance lines are a moving target during the day. ES had a support at 1034 while the world waited for the FOMC decision. The market opened up, didn't fade the gap, the trend is up, so buying at 1034.25 was a bit of a gamble but with a breakout of the resistance at 1035.25, nothing else counted.

Oh, I also put in a line once I figure which way the market will go for the rest of the day at the anticipated high or low based on the average range of the last 5-days. Today it exceeded the projected level.

Best wishes,
    JD

#40     Oct 28, 2003