Calorie Question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by vanzandt, May 16, 2017.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Lets say... and this is just keeping it ultra-simple.... but lets say one peanut is reported to have 15 calories (or whatever it is).
    Does that not depend on how well you chew it? If you chew it for a minute (turning it into peanut butter essentially), your body will certainly absorb more calories in the digestive process than if you swallowed it whole (like a pill). Right?

2. 15 calories...is 15 calories -- I can't imagine it must diff that much, if any, with what method or process you get it into your mouth, o_O

But calories aside, you should generally chew your food for as long as you can.
    Sometimes we are so in a rush, or hungry, that we gobble our food down...that's not that healthy or easy on our system.

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Well, the thing is.... peanuts will pass through your digestive system whole. So it comes down to surface area with regards to caloric absorption. I would think. Its like a teaspoon of activated charcoal has like 1000 sqf of surface area.

Either way,... I was going somewhere with this thread. Its the whole question of feeling "full" in regards to dieting.
    What triggers that? Why can we eat a half pound of Kale and tomatoes and still not feel satisfied?

Peanuts are very filling (and note...this is not about peanuts, they are only an example here).... but what I wonder is if you swallowed a tablespoon of them whole (in theory) would you get the same effect of "fullness" as if you swallowed a tablespoon of them well chewed. Its about how the body/brain works.

I read once that it takes more calories to digest a sprig of brocolli than the brocolli is worth calorically.

No biggie....Just thinking out loud about how things work...

4. Google chewing your food properly. You'll find your answer. In short, the actual calorie intake whether you chew properly, or gobble it all down like a some Trump supporting Neanderthal, the calories absorbed are about the same. Feeling full while eating less, on the other hand, is much more likely when you chew more slowly and completely. Also helps with the entire digestive process.

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

See thats what I thought. If you chew more, there's more surface area for the food to be processed in the digestive tract. So swallowing a tablespoon of peanuts whole will not lead to the same feeling of fullness as chewing them up.
    Steak would be another one. Anything that is relatively solid (firm).
    How it works is all very interesting...

6. You want to feel full with a healthy snack? Eat a carrot. Just get one and start nawing on that sum bitch. Takes me like 10 minutes to finish one, so I'm taking care of chewing it up really well. The brain is thinking this bastard is eating a meal so I'm feeling very full afterwards. Packed with lots of healthy stuff too, with little calories. Give it a go.

7. Cap'n, that you?

upload_2017-5-19_12-30-45.png

8. ^yep. I'll also eat a carrot as the last portion of a light lunch. Helps in feeling full where otherwise I would not. I may do an infomercial

9. Not to mention it's good for the...hare.

10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Hmmmm. Good one, I've never tried that. I do it with raw broccoli though.

Yeah the whole example about peanuts was not about gulping them like Kasich eating pizza lol....it was to get to the science behind how our digestive track works. Its funny how some things can move through you in an hour or so, and other things take much longer. Why is that? And can this principal be used to combine certain foods in order to minimize the absorption of the bad stuff we like so much?

Its like if you eat a big ole fat juicy cheeseburger... and then chase it with a pile of kale... will the body push the cheeseburger through like it does the kale... minimizing the absorption time of all the fat in the burger? I guess the question is... can you trick f*ck your digestive system?

Oh well, just thinking out loud as always. Either way, our bodies really are amazing machines.

#10     May 19, 2017