Calls for new PWA - Public Works Admin / Jobs needed

Discussion in 'Economics' started by limitdown, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Not true here.

Just like some people spur the lure of leisurely welfare.

Some people like myself know we can do better with an eat what you kill mentality vs coddled work demands and breathless whispers of promises from big brother.

#31     Nov 18, 2009
  2. I'll say this much, the work programs built some good shit back in the 30's. I looked at a park district building about a month ago that was built like a rock using some of the biggest pieces of Limestone I've seen. The craftmanship was really excellent.

I don't know how good a deal it was for taxpayers, but it has lasted almost 80 years and is built a lot better than stuff only 10 years old.

#32     Nov 19, 2009
  3. MKTrader

MKTrader

What?! I guess you've never worked in governmental outifit that allowed OT. Talk about fraud, waste and abuse (of taxpayer money).

I've had plenty of academic econ courses and most is ivory tower. The funny thing is the way they use high-level math to pretend they're doing the equivalent of physics or something.

You've done nothing but ramble incoherently so I think this thread is about done anyway.

#33     Nov 19, 2009
  4. I too have had just ohh so many Econ courses too, and the ability to seperate fluff from flub was always the trick.

Many a teacher used to step the lessons down to overly simplistic just to not loose the students, once their faces glazed over.

On this board, we are traders. I previously mentioned that those who take the Masters Public Administration learn these things so as to craft policies that generate tax revenue for their municipalities.

It is not lost on me that this thread seems rambling. Those (such as yourself and myself) that aren't at risk can blow off the subject matter. Those who used to have and are still seeking and can't find jobs remain the focus of this thread, so whatever achieves work for those or that target audience is the objective of this discussion.

It remains callous that those that have care nothing about those that don't, until they come knocking at their office doors for a handout, whether through welfare, unemployment insurance or otherwise.

#34     Nov 19, 2009

5. That's nonsense, to me callousness is offering up stupid solutions that only do harm in the long run by believing in the economic equivalent of the tooth fairy*.

Unfortunately this is what is taught at most institutions of higher indoctrination called college.

#35     Nov 19, 2009
  6. Correct!

+1

#36     Nov 19, 2009

7. What a bunch of horse apples .
    This is a prime example of a false dichotomy.
    Persons who objected to one most likely objected to the other also.

Doing nothing is better than causing certain harm. So what did the govt do , it did both of course.

#37     Nov 19, 2009
  8. agreed, surprisingly,

very similar to how they traced the same self serving business practices that caused the collapse of the American banking and brokerage system in 2007-09 to what was taught in business school.

so then, what solution do you offer, since all that most people can do is poo-pooo anything proffered,

feel free to start or support a thread that achieve relief to the millions unemployed....

then, stand there and let other commentator on these threads pick it apart as self serving and worthless.....

your turn....

#38     Nov 20, 2009
  9. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmmmm......(Scratching side of head with dumb/confused look on face.....)

I wonder if anyone has thought of (greatly) reducing spending and reducing taxes to help our country?

Naw, I got to be wrong here. Okay America, go back to sleep. Your government knows what's best for you and they will take care of ever'body. (Snooooooooze.)

#39     Nov 20, 2009
  10. MKTrader

MKTrader

Only true because businesses had responded to the environment they were given. The blame belongs to those who gave the incentives/punishment leading to the collapse. For example:

- Fed (artificially low interest rates + Greenspan/Bernanke put);

- Washington (again, bailouts and expected bailouts led to excessive risk-taking);

- Fannie/Freddie (Frank and others scoffed at warnings for years from the likes of Ron Paul);

- CRA, ACORN bully tactics and other means to enourage lending to certain groups and lower lending standards to ridiculous levels (this grew quietly and violently in Clinton era),

- etc., etc. ad nauseum.

#40     Nov 20, 2009