Calling TWS ActiveX from C#

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by nitro, Oct 7, 2003.

1. dlincke

dlincke

This is somewhat off-topic, but someone here will probably habe an answer.

I currently have VS .NET 2003 installed on my development machine and now find myself in the situation that I have to fall back on VB6 and thus VS6 for some project due to the kinds of integration/compatibility issues discussed here. Is it possible and safe to install VS6 alongside VS .NET? Or do I have to expect side-effects?

dave

#51     Oct 16, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

I have had two experiences with this. I actually have three verions installed, VC.Net, VStudio 2003.NET (Visual Basic.NET and Visual C++.NET), MSVC6.0 and VB 6.0.

On one machine (XP laptop) all was fine until one day something broke. I am not sure what happened.

On another machine that I have (Win2K up to date) I have installed all of them and I have never had a problem. One thing that I did differently on the Win2K machine is the order in which I installed them: On the Win2K machine, I installed the new .NET stuff FIRST, then I installed the old stuff. I am not sure if this is the reason I have no problems on this machine.

nitro

#52     Oct 16, 2003
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

I have several development machines that were upgraded according to release: VS6x, then VS.Netx, then VS.Net2003.

They are all base Win2000 machines and all installations function.

We have had some problems on XP with incompatibilities but not on 2000. I still run only a few development machines on XP and keep most of the work on 2000: Build machines are XP and 2000.

The more interesting stuff is all happening on Linux right now .... I even nixed our people from going to the MS PDC - except for one- which has unfortunately degraded to a mass marketing extravaganza nearly devoid of anything of value that cant be obtained elsewhere .....

#53     Oct 17, 2003
  4. dlincke

dlincke

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to give it a try and take a disk image before so I can easily recover in case of problems.

What about MSDN Library? Does VS6 work with the recent new format versions (e.g. July 2003), or is it necessary to install an old release alongside for context-sensitive help to be available in VS6 as well?

dave

#54     Oct 17, 2003
  5. i think it is...when i installed VS.net on mine, it uninstalled VB6 automatically w/o my knowledge...the IDE was simply gone, although its folders were still around...

#55     Dec 3, 2003