Calling the bottom

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Jacob Fries, Feb 28, 2009.

1. EMR, agreed that the financial politics of the newest administration are somewhat unknown, but the measures taken by the Fed and the government prior to, and after, 1929, ring quite true to what the Fed and Obama have already done early on, the programs he has already initated, and the unashamed idiocy with which the Fed continues to push failed policy and debt upon the American taxpayer via the Treasury's printing presses.

Government and the Fed made the 1929 crash into a depression. If not for them and their meddling ala 2008-2009, 1929 would have been just another recession. Today's unfortunate global interdependence means there is less influence on our own economy even with our own capital. However, given that the world is short of capital at this time, and that Obama intends to tax capital at much higher levels, I don't see any safety net to keep us away from DOW 2000 in the long run.

People still have to eat and drink, and thus commodities are the place to be in depressions. This is subject to future meddling by whomever is at the wheel, of course. The Great Depression lasted ten years, and not even the mid-30s public works program pulled the US out of danger; It was the fulfillment of war supplies and machines to our allies in WWII before us, that rescued our economy. Such a recovery is no longer possible as such, since we are no longer a manufacturing economy, even to the extent that we import some of our military technology from China.

The more government steals from the profitable and sound, giving it to the unprofitable and unsound, the more we shall see as unsustainable the practice of bailing out those with few redeeming qualities in the marketplace. Remember the Japanese recession in the 90s... they did exactly what the US government did, bail out the banks, and they got lost an entire decade of progress for greater national debt. It didn't work in that part of the world, either.

I agree with PohPoh who predicts DOW 2800, and I will not be holding all shorts until 2000. Actually, I expect most of my short financial instruments to be called much before then, covering such positions. However, I see no reason to not continue being short in the financial sector and long commodities. It has been an excellent play. Of course, I enjoy playing the ES emini several times per month, which I used to post signals for here on ET.

#11     Mar 1, 2009
  2. You may be correct. We will see after the fact.

#12     Mar 1, 2009
  3. Cha-ching. Another ten-point winner. Oh sorry, I dont post real-time signals anymore. I shouldn't tease...

#13     Mar 2, 2009
  4. One more point down, please. I want to turn off the stupid computer and go have some fun.

#14     Mar 3, 2009