Calling 'Em Like I See 'Em

Discussion in 'Journals' started by QuietTrader, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Long 4 er2 @ 780.70

#41     Apr 20, 2006
  2. Welcome back QT!
    Nice trades so far today! Keep it up!
    PT

#42     Apr 20, 2006
  3. Despite a somewhat significant pullback of over 3 points in ES, ER2 has (had?) not displayed its prior weakness, setting itself up for a nice move up on the (potential) resumption of the uptrend in the equities. As you can see my timing was way off on this one. That spooked me.

Sell 4 er2 @ 779.90

#43     Apr 20, 2006
  4. Loss on last trade: $320. Profit on day: $1790

I exited that trade without letting it reach my stop. When I saw on the 1-minute bar how price wooshed down almost a full point, I knew I wanted out. At this point, there was a good chance ER2 was going to resume its weakness. I was, however, unfortunately, not confident enough to reverse and go short, which would have been the far better move, and watched from the sidelines as ER2 made new lows in a matter of minutes.

The way I traded the ES-ER2 thus far, while valid, and indeed the way many people who do inter-index research tend to do things (from what I see from posts on other threads), is not normally the way I like to do things. I have a different approach which I feel is far superior. I will try to discuss both approaches soon.

#44     Apr 20, 2006
  5. Long 3 ER2 @ 775.40

#45     Apr 20, 2006
  6. Long 3 er2 @774.

#46     Apr 20, 2006
  7. Sell 6 er2 @ 774.70 (Scratch trade)

#47     Apr 20, 2006
  8. The size and speed of the subsequent selloff (pullback?) in ES caught me off guard. I only took 3 contracts on my original entry due to its counter-trend nature, and had planned to add another 3 if the market would allow me at about 774.80.

When ES came down about 3 points in a big hurry, and the er2's reaction was mediocre, I felt confident enough to add 3 at 774 with a tight stop. When price came to 774.80/90 and failed to show any real bounce-momentum, I bailed for the scratch.

I'm not sure whether I still want to be long, but had a feeling that even if I did, there would be better opportunities at lower prices.

BTW, my impetus for taking the trade originally was the great strength of the European markets despite the strong pullback in the ES. They continue to show strength, and are the source of my still thinking of being long. Right now, I remain on the sidelines in all markets awaiting a little more solid sense of direction.

#48     Apr 20, 2006
  9. I like the way you trade QuietTrader, and the reason being is I trade exactly the same. I think traders like me and you are few and far between. I really look forward to your outstanding posts!

WAY TO GO!!!

Trading_time….

#49     Apr 20, 2006
  10. I have not traded since my last posted trade.

1) I felt out of sync with the market and didn't want to do anything foolish. 2) We had a little birthday party for my daughter, for which another daughter baked a beautiful cake, and I didn't want to get myself attached to any trades that might cause me to miss the fun.

In my opinion, one of the great things about trading, that make the stress etc. worth it, is that you don't have to be a slave to the market. I know many traders write things like "I haven't missed a single hour for the past seven years..." If that's what turns you on, fine. I don't feel I have to catch every tick.

That's not to say I cavalierly imagine I can just flick on my monitor, click my mouse a few times, and make a living. Trading is not a video game. You have to be patient, and stalk good opportunities. However, if you monitor a few markets (or stocks I assume), there are opportunities to make money every day without having to take crazy risks and without having to be obsessive about it.

Sometimes you'll take a break for whatever reason, and arrive to find you just missed a great opportunity. Of course, to some extent it's upsetting. But you have to learn to get over it, and wait patiently for the next chance, be it a continuation trade, or a reversal. (In The New Market Wizards interview of Randy McKay there is an absolutely fantastic account of a terrible trade he took, buying gold at its very top -- just because he was obsessively upset about missing the move. If you want to be a successful trader, you must learn to overcome such emotions, or risk self-destructing.)

My theory, and feel free to disagree with this, is that in the long run, I won't lose out from leaving my office to attend to matters such as a child's birthday party, an important visitor, etc. Often, if a sudden need arises, I'll just exit my position, and avoid the worry. If I'm comfortable, I'll make sure my stop is in, place an OCO profit-taking limit order (if I feel it's called for), and leave for a few minutes. After all, sometimes nature calls too.

You'll notice as well that I've kept my size intentionally small today. The first day back after a hiatus, you want to be careful about overextending yourself and taking on large positions when you haven't yet regained your feel for the market's gyrations. (Besides, I had a great pre-market trading the DAX which gave me some breathing room.)

#50     Apr 20, 2006