Call me crazy - I want to buy banks!

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by timscott, Feb 22, 2009.

1. If you were speaking to me Brendan R, I wouldn't touch a bank stock primarily because I am not someone who is interested in equities. There are those who are and the OP suggested that although the big banks were rather toxic, there were smaller banks and/or banks that thought 'smaller' that might be worth a play - a long play if I understood him correctly. I think that's all he was saying.

lj

#41     Feb 25, 2009
  2. Useful post - thx.

#42     Feb 25, 2009
  3. ok,

crazy!

#43     Feb 25, 2009
  4. I think we are starting to see a bit of short covering here. I would be long 10000 shares of C here for a quick trade intraday.

you can get 10% easy of this one several times the momentum is crazy. What a rush.

BAC has more writedowns coming following AIG. This should be their worst quarter coming up here. I think tomorrow we trade higher. I think the deals are already done and the govt will make some huge profits so Im trading right along side them.

Citi will eat up so many banks it will be like playing Pac Man--(I am showing my age) BAC above 6 is a good trade due to program buying. Using a stop loss right there might help.

My book is almost done...

#44     Feb 25, 2009
  5. piezoe

piezoe

I like UCBH for the reasons i stated under the stocks thread with that name. I won't repeat but just hit the highlights. They are being hurt by their bad california commercial loans. Further write downs on the way. That said, i like them because they are no longer just a California bank, they are in Atlanta, New Jersey, New York, Houston, etc. And they are in Hong Cong and are licensed in China! They have a Chinese partner bank , Minseng, that is in a position to supply capitol if needed, and so far they are still on the well capitalized list. I believe UCBH has the potential to become the number one bank for US Chinese Commerce. The bank is still thought of by many as a California bank. As a result the stock is being given away at something under two dollars or about 1/12 of book. I have followed them closely and listened to all the conference calls. Nothing i have learned so far has changed my view of the banks long term prospects. But be prepared fr a long wait if you go in now.

#45     Feb 25, 2009
  6. You should have a look at the Australian banks - they weren't hit so hard by the credit crunch. In fact they are successfully raising new capital.

- Commonwealth Bank on the ASX, and Westpac on ASX, also listed as WBK on the NYSE.

#46     Feb 25, 2009
  7. sumosam

sumosam

Aussie banks are good....but Canadian banks are GREAT!! ok, SO i'm not Tony the Tiger....showing my age.

Our interest rates have always been lower, and, we were not nearly in as much of a housing bubble (I guess people don't care for a holiday home in Canada). RY, BMO are interlisted.

We actually have the strongest banks in the world. With gold now going down, these banks should lead the way up.

#47     Feb 25, 2009
  8. Illum

Illum

TD sprouting up here in Jersey, taking advantage. Im not sure how much they are spreading, I haven't bothered to look into it. Personally Im not getting long banks until Eastern Europe sorts itself out. Could spread like a virus. But if you are looking for winners, they appear to be winning around here :confused:

#48     Feb 25, 2009
  9. Chagi

Chagi

I agree that Canadian banks look relatively good right now compared to historical prices, but their current stock prices, trend and yields tell a different story. I think it would be a very good idea to wait before investing, I suspect that things are about to look substantially worse very soon.

#49     Feb 25, 2009
  10. Out of STI at 11.02... now it will go to 20 but who cares. Took half off my UYG at 2.45. Not investing... just trading.

#50     Feb 25, 2009