California....what happened?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Stosh, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I recently heard Sarah Palin basically saying the same thing about the oil in Alaska. But she said when oil was $100+ that she didn’t give into the state legislature’s demands to spend money and instead put it into a rainy day fund. At $40, I wonder how much they’re making now. Of course she’ll get no credit whatsoever for this.

#81     Feb 9, 2009
  2. gnome

gnome

"Rainy day fund"? What a stupid concept!

#82     Feb 10, 2009
  3. Stosh

Stosh

It is what John Maynard Keynes said that gov't should do in good times, but the Keynsians must have decided that that part of his theory was too difficult (i.e., doesn't get votes).

#83     Feb 10, 2009
  4. Call it whatever you want. She rejected the idea of spending the excess cash knowing that $100+ oil might not last. Whether this was good planning or just coincidence, I guess we’ll never know. It’s a good rule for everybody to follow. Don’t expect that the good times will keep on going. You don’t think the Saudi’s know about this?

#84     Feb 10, 2009
  5. enron screwed a lot of people not just californians, but why is california in the most dire straits of all now (except maybe louisiana, but they have a slightly more legitimate excuse)

#85     Feb 10, 2009
  6. if they mean 40% of the total population, that's not so unbelievably bad since it includes children, who make up about 28% of the population. the remaining 10%+ are deadbeats. wish we could ship them off to afghanistan to defuse roadside bombs or do something useful.

#86     Feb 10, 2009
  7. Humpy

Humpy

Damn right

I would like to see him and his gang out on the streets with brooms helping clear up

#87     Feb 10, 2009
  8. TGregg

TGregg

Whatever is wrong is about to get a lot worse:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090210/us_nm/us_usa_prisons_california

#88     Feb 10, 2009