California GOP Files FEC Complaint Over Obama's Visit to Grandmother

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigdavediode, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Yes. They really did.

California GOP Files FEC Complaint Over Obama Visit to Grandmother

By Matthew Mosk Perhaps the most ill-timed press release of the 2008 campaign arrived shortly after 1:30 p.m. today, sent by the Republican National Committee.

The release forwarded word that the California Republican Party filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission, in part because of a visit Sen. Barack Obama made to his dying grandmother.

"Obama for America violated federal law by converting its campaign funds to Senator Obama's personal use," the release stated. "Senator Obama recently traveled to Hawaii to visit his sick grandmother. This was the right thing for any grandson to do -- at his own expense -- but it was not travel that his campaign may fund."

At issue was whether the trip should have been paid for with campaign funds, based on the law that forbids candidates from using such funds to pay for personal travel. The Obama campaign said the trip had been vetted with lawyers beforehand and was allowable. The Republicans argued that, because Obama did not campaign during the quick journey to Hawaii, it should not have been a campaign expense.

But filing the complaint today now seems to have been ill-advised, if not legally, then certainly politically.

Obama and his sister released a statement this afternoon announcing that their grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, died peacefully after a battle with cancer.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/11/03/california_gop_files_fec_compl.html

2. For shame, Obama. The corruption swirlling around the Obama campaign undermines the democratic foundation of this country. Acorn, Aires, Reverend Wright. Refusing to take public financing. Refusal to disclose donor list.

3. Corruption? I'm sorry, but that's not corruption. In fact, none of that is illegal at all.

It makes me sad, but doesn't surprise me, that the Republicans who feel that Obama should be persecuted for his ex-pastor, an acquaintance from 20 years ago, and feels like they need to analyze his donor list line by line should also feel the need to file a complaint against the guy for visiting his dying grandmother.

You guys are simply amazing.

4. Mercor

Mercor

I think Obama better produce a body.
    Wasn't she a witness in the birth document case

5. need to file a complaint against the guy for visiting his dying grandmother.
    -----------------------

Couldn't he have personally paid for it and been re-imbursed?

6. Huh, oddly, when grandmothers die that's not the first thing people worry about.

His lawyers cleared it, but congratulations on belonging to a party that is attacking him on this. Seriously, congratulations.

It makes me realize that my contempt for Republicans should be turned into anger and outrage, and that I should be doing everything I can to get this guy elected. I can do more.

7. Sure, but i contend anything a candidate does in the last week or two of electioneering IS campaigning, its covered close enough.
    Visiting dyeing grandmother-well that cant be fun, but goes to credibility campaign wise.

What's McCain gonna do-visit himself?!? Hey, he looks good for a 70+ guy, I'm sure the irony isn't lost on him.

All things being equal, I hope he is around for 2012, the "sad grandpa" and "double maverick" sound great.
    :)

8. Sure, but i contend anything a candidate does in the last week or two of electioneering IS campaigning, its covered close enough.
    ---------------

Makes sense.

9. Yeah, it kinda does......so......who's your pick?
    I should point out, the greatest horse race in the world just finished here in OZ, the Melbourne cup.......its basically a public holiday. Dont even know which horse won.
    Thing is, i hate horse racing with a passion, so this is more entertaining.

Although, there seem to be a couple of old nags in, or associated with the potus race too.

10. Guess the RNC is at the stage where they'll kill anybody for that nickel on the table. What a classless mutant thing to do.

#10     Nov 4, 2008