California dreamin

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mav88, May 16, 2010.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Needs? She's working on a degree in political and social science.
    WTF is she going to do with that in this economy?

How much will it reduce the budget? How many are on the program?

If there are only 1000 it would save $12 million a year
    10,000 would save $120 million a year.
    50,000 would save $600 million a year.

You're crying like a little girl, in typical bleeding heart liberal fashion, as if she's the only one.

EDIT: I looked it up; 1.4 million are enrolled in CalWorks.

#31     May 16, 2010
  2. [​IMG]

#32     May 16, 2010
  3. Corporations do not provide the majority of the employment and they are also very quick to ship jobs whenever they can, so they are not in for the patriotism like you paint them to be.

#33     May 16, 2010

4. 600 million for 50,000 people still sounds better than 2 Billion for those who only pay 10% of the revenues. Maybe you should go back to reading the bible instead of thumping it only when it suits you.

#34     May 16, 2010

5. How could the Republicans possibly take away anything from the parasites once the Dems claim victory?

You and your ilk that care so much should donate directly to that woman with the four kids. That would cause severe personal pain though. Rather than doing that, it gives your ilk a warm feeling in your tummies when money is forcefully removed from producing entities.

--------------------

Tax reduction for the producers is called welfare.

Entitlement increases are well earned rewards for having contributed nothing for several generations.

#35     May 16, 2010
  6. da-net

da-net

"Gina Jackson, a single mother who lives in Fremont in the San Francisco Bay area, said she would not be able finish her college degree in political and social science without the state's assistance. She currently receives about $1,000 a month to cover after-school care for two of her four children."

I have read this thread to this point and there are some good points being made by all, but I think some of you are not seeing the bigger picture.

I personally know a woman in the east side of Atlanta that has 2 masters degrees (both were paid for by taxpayers) and she has not worked in over 15 years. She has 6 children none of them by the same father. She receives over $3000 per month from the govt to care for the kids, plus the govt supplies FREE health care (med, dental & optical) for all incl her, food stamps and Section 8 housing.

All these entitlements add up to about $6000 per month or about $72k per year (with no taxes) ...her attitude is "Why Work"?

I would hope that Ms. Jackson is not a similar type individual or the additional education expenses are nothing but a waste of money for taxpayers, however having 4 children already without a husband does not IMO exhibit responsibility or desire to change on her part.

yes, I understand that there may be issues of abuse by the husband(s) , but we are not made aware of any of these possibilities. Also I am not aware of the actual financial burden currently this woman is on the govt & taxpayers without the child care payments.

#36     May 16, 2010
  7. $72,000 per year and all that free time educating the 6 kids on how to do the same thing with their lives.

#37     May 16, 2010
  8. I've lived in California for the last 20+ years and I've watched these problems develop over time:

1. The state of California has 12% of the nation's population and 32% of all the country's welfare cases because of the constantly increasing benefits offered over the years.

2. Illegal aliens cost the state somewhere between $3-7 billion a year, depending whose numbers you look at.

3. The alliance between politicians and the public employee unions has resulted in a fiscal distaster. The unions deliver votes and money at election time, and the politicians give public employee unions massive raises and benefits. California's public employees are now the highest paid in the country, and the retirement health/pension program has an unfunded liability of a half trillion dollars. (yes, I said trillion)

4. Over the past 20 years, the legislature has increased government spending at twice the rate of the growth in the California economy. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out that eventually that train is going to run off the tracks. Even constant tax increases and masive borrowing haven't been enough to keep pace.

5. The California legislature has done everything in its power to destroy private enterprise with high taxes (now 5th highest per capita in the country, up from 17th just a few years ago) and a maze of regulations that nobody understands. Regulatory costs in California are now the highest in the nation. Companies like Telmar Networks, Terumo Medical, Creel Printing and Stasis Engineering have left the state for good. Hewlett Packard, eBay, JC Penny, the Automobile Club of Southern California and other large corporations are moving thousands of jobs to Nevada, Texas and Tennessee. Even the entertainment business is moving operations (production/filming) out of the state. The result is 12.7% unemployment, second highest in the country.

California's problems are clearly definable and are self-inflicted. There are now so many special interest groups feeding at the trough, the politicians will not do what they have to do for fear of losing votes. The only real solution will occur when nobody else is willing to lend money to the state and the coffers completely run dry.

#38     May 16, 2010
  9. jem

jem

great analysis and this was all done by a legislature dominated by dems.

#39     May 16, 2010
  10. Wallet

Wallet

For a second I thought you were talking about Federal problems.

#40     May 16, 2010