Calendar trade from Maverick

Discussion in 'Options' started by Maverick74, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yeah, I leg out of them but not aggressively. I would hold it through expiration. Like I said before, you need to be careful with earnings stocks because of the gaps.

#21     Feb 18, 2004
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

They come in pretty fast, generally within the first hour of trading. If they don't come in the first hour, perhaps because the stock is very volatile, they will more then likely come in the following day.

#22     Feb 18, 2004
  3. Whoa, OVTI is up 3.63 afterhours. How would that calendar have worked? Does the big move in the underlying basically wipe out the edge from the skew?

#23     Feb 18, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yeah that is what I was talking about with this stock. That's basically a 7 pt pre-split move. You have to be careful. This trade had a lot of short deltas that I would have bought before the report. If you did that, you made out alright. I haven't looked at the numbers.

My advice is to not hold calendars through earnings. LOL. In fact, my advice is never to hold short gamma through earnings.

#24     Feb 18, 2004
  5. Just out of curiosity -- if your advice is to not hold calendars through earnings then why did you take the time to post this thread and "alert" ET members to the potential play?

Also, if it was such a solid play that presented itself on friday then why did you not take it?

Not flaming -- just curious...

Commisso

#25     Feb 18, 2004
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Joe, I got a PM asking to post a few calendars and I didn't really have any time so I ran a quick filter and this was the first one that came up. This play actually wasn't bad if you didn't hold the short deltas. Once I saw that this company was reporting this week I didn't want to post another trade so I put out a disclaimer to everyone to be careful doing calendars through an earnings report. I believe I clearly stated that this stock has the potential to move 8 to 10 pts on the report and therefore one should use caution.

I didn't take the play because all my capital is in existing positions going into Feb expiration. I made it very clearly not only on this thread but on others that you should not hold short gamma through an earnings report, at least not on a crazy stock, and this is a crazy stock.

Should I have posted a different trade? Yeah probably but like I said this play wasn't that bad if you bought the deltas before the report. This play was just an example of a huge skew in the front month. I never told anyone to take the play but rather used it as an example. The next day I ran my filter and found a lot more plays with skews as large as this one that did not have earnings reports due out. I didn't want to start another thread and post all of them though. I hope this explanation is suffice.

#26     Feb 18, 2004
  7. Good enough for me...

#27     Feb 18, 2004
  8. Does anybody have any idea of what the spreads are like post earnings announcement? Do they return to normal or are they widened?

#28     Feb 20, 2004