Calendar or Butterfly! ( futures to futures)

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by traderjo, Jan 19, 2022.

1. traderjo

traderjo

Trying to find some info on
    - When to trade a Calendar spread and when to trade a Butterfly spread! ( all futures to futures)
    - The calendar I am trading is exchange traded spread but that exchange does not have a exchange traded Butterfly so can't chart !
    Any ideas anybody?

2. Which instrument?

@bone

GAT

3. traderjo

traderjo

TSR20 on sgx

4. H2O

H2O

When trading futures spreads, butterflies etc. you're taking a view on the (future) shape of the curve. Technical traders generally fade any 'humps' in the curve, while longer-term traders may take a fundamental view on how the curve should change if certain conditions emerge / cease to exist.

You can always chart 2 calendars to create the implied butterfly - this is better than creating the implied from the outrights, but obviously still not as 'safe' as an exchange traded product.

Note - if you're just getting into the world of spreads etc. I suggest you have a look at more liquid / less volatile markets rather than the product you mentioned in your next post.
    STIRS are good for starting out.

5. traderjo

traderjo

One other question in my mind is is converting a Calender spread in to a butterfly a good hedging Technic?
    Re chart 2 calendars to create the implied butterfly... I doubt on CQG desktop I can do that

6. xandman

xandman

Create a user-defined spread of any structure you want. Call support, if you have trouble. There are ex-traders there that have showed me a thing or two.

7. Justrade

Justrade

calendar is a long vega position
    butterfly is a short vega position