Caffeine addiction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by a529612, Jul 31, 2006.

1. i couldn't even think about trading in the moring with out my diet coke.i will have breakfast in the morning at MCD's with a large diet coke but that will do it for the day.
    i am in that category of people who if i drink a diet coke late afternoon, i have trouble getting to sleep. so i don't.
    you should hear my wife tell me about all the bad chemicals in diet coke.
    but as my grandmother always told me,
    "you got to die somehow"
    pat

#11     Jul 31, 2006
  2. 27? You are just a puppy! You can throw just about anything you want at your body till early 30's or so, and will prolly notice nothing at all.

Then it starts getting ugly, particularly with drinking. Hangovers get nastier, then longer (as in 2 days, with a third day of just being stupid).

I say have at it now while you can. When you get to my age (mid 40's), coffee is about the only thing you can play with if you still want to be able to work. I only down a few cups per day, but used to do a pot per day easy, and drink like an elephant on weekends!

#12     Jul 31, 2006
  3. nitro

nitro

Although I rarely drink coffee because it simply destroyes me, I too have noticed that when I drink it, my mind operates on a far higher intellectual plane. I am able to concentrate far deeper longer, as well as be more creative.

I wish there was some way to sustain that without [harmful] side effects :(

nitro

#13     Aug 1, 2006
  4. maxpi

maxpi

Caffeine in coffee actually causes a net loss of magnesium even though there is lots of it in a cup of joe. Caffeine also reduces your availability of serotonin which can destroy your basic feeling of well being. Coffee causes a net loss of water as well.

I would not cut the coffee with decaf, just water is fine, currently I put 1/3 cup of coffee in and fill it with water, that way you are hydrating more and taking in less caffeine and weaning yourself off of the strong coffee flavor addiction. The oils in coffee are bad for health BTW, always use a paper filter to remove those. In the 1950's the typical cup of coffee looked like tea, people [in the US at least] have been brewing it stronger and stronger by the decade until we now have Starbucks which can almost cause me to rob a convenience store it wires me up so bad.

I have a coffee maker that grinds the beans just before brewing, that thing makes some superb coffee with the right beans FWIW.

#14     Aug 1, 2006
  5. I'm already starting to feel it more! It sucks, seems like just yesterday I was 22 and partying till 3 am with no problem being semi-functional the next day. These days the hangovers are waay more brutal - I've been trying those "Chaser" pills, they kind of work but I still feel somewhat shitty in the morning.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) drinking/partying/women at this point in my life is an almost nightly event... how else am I going to spend my money:)?

Got any recommendations for good hangover cures - at one point a friend mentioned something called rj-21 or something like it, anyone know anything about it?

#15     Aug 1, 2006
  6. I fianlly just gave up drinking it got so painful. The only sure fire way I found to kill a hangover? Start drinking again.

It does help if you drink a glass of water every other drink when you are out. Hardly anyone ever does that though.

#16     Aug 1, 2006
  7. pattersb

pattersb Guest

water, drink a lot of water before you sleep and the next morning.

Not a "cure", but it helps quite a bit.

#17     Aug 1, 2006
  8. I do that, but, then I'm waking up to piss every 2 hours...

It really does come down to dehydration and vitamin/mineral depletion - I guess I am looking for that "wonderdrug" that allows people to drink all they want and not feel like shit the next morning.

Why the big pharma's aren't researching/introducing something like this still eludes me.

#18     Aug 1, 2006
  9. pattersb

pattersb Guest

drink less. toward the end of your night, rotate water with your drinks....

it's a amazing how little you'll miss the real stuff. ice/water with a twist. Delicius, Healthy and Free!

#19     Aug 1, 2006
  10. Caffeine improves IQ test score...

http://www.radwin.org/michael/blog/2004/02/the_caffeine_advantage.html

#20     Aug 1, 2006