Caffeine addiction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by a529612, Jul 31, 2006.

1. I started with a cup a day. Now my mind can't function without a cup every few hours and it's getting worse. What's the best way to kick this caffeine addiction?

2. Raven

Raven

add decaf, slowly substituting more of it for the caffeinated.or you could just quit cold turkey and ride it out for next 3 weeks

3. Will decaf still keep your mind focused?

4. Difficult to tell whether to take this question seriously...

Does drinking water keep your mind focused?

Decaf has 97% caffeine removed. (unless: http://www3.whdh.com/features/articles/specialreport/DBM1481/)

If you believe it is the caffeine content in your regular coffee that keeps your mind "focused" then the answer to your question should be apparent.

MoMoney.

5. Well, I'm in your boat. 3-4 cups a day everyday. 5:30 am, 10:30 am, 2:30 pm, 4 pm. Its like clockwork - I need my fix 4 times a day.

Why do you want to quit? There's nothing wrong with coffee, it has magnesium and potassium, which are good for you. I don't beleive caffeine has any serious long term effects (haven't done any research on this though). Coffee makes me alert and focused - I don't think I want to live without it.

Also, if you drink booze often (like I do), supposedly there is research out there that coffee can counter liver damage.

6. As they say, everything in moderation! Too much coffee/caffeine can have some counter-productive (if desire is for "focus") side-effects depending on the person.

MoMoney.

7. i love the immediate effect - concentration abilities, but I get too much jaw tension, withdrawl headaches, etc.

I have to avoid it entirely, including no tea or chocolate.

I think I'm naturally high strung as it is.

8. It raises blood pressure and increases heart disease risk big time. I feel wired and very nervous if I consume too much of that stuff. Not exactly a healthy thing to do.

http://menshealth.about.com/od/lifestyle/a/Caffeine.htm

9. Yeah, of course I'll agree with that, but running/exercise and a super healthy diet reduce risks for both. Checks, balances and moderation my friend.

I run 3-5 miles almost daily (avg 4x per week) and I eat the best quality/healthy food available (mostly sushi). I know there are things I do to my body that aren't very good for it (drinking, caffeine, 14 hour work days, poor sleep), but, when I see my doc, he tells me I'm in better shape than most 18-20 year olds (I'm 27 now).

Also, I don't plan to continue my current pace past 35yrs/old. It is aging me a bit quicker but that's the price you have to pay I guess.

Mike

10. #10     Jul 31, 2006