Cable VS DSL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starman, Jul 28, 2002.

1. There is always some amount of money...

#51     Aug 3, 2002
  2. nitro

nitro

:D Yeah, I need one of those wild women too..

:p Slurp, that French model sounds good!

:eek: I am married - Ugh

Rent a women :confused: You mean a hooker?

nitro :cool:

#52     Aug 3, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

What the hell was this thread about anyway? I have forgotten...

nitro :cool:

#53     Aug 3, 2002
  4. Nitro & metoo....Thanks for wasting my time reading through your "Got off the on a tangent" posts....It WAS very interesting, however - Im now thinking of moving to Freeport myself! Im not sure if my firm will let me trade offshore. I dont think they will.

Anyway....... I just came across another idea for speeding up connection and backup/redundant system if you have 2 internet services..and it is software based. Its called MidPoint for connection sharing and according to the floowing article, it seems to do what I need it to do:i.e., speed up the connection by somehow bundling the 2 services together..and also automatically routing your connection 100% to one connection if the other goes down...and all in the background!!

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/review/midpoint-sharing.asp

Can someone else read the article and tell me if Im missing something? If I get this software, do I need any special routers like Nextland or Compex?

#54     Aug 3, 2002
  5. nitro

nitro

NYC,

I am not convinced that trading in Freeport is the key - I believe that the ENTITY itself has to be "headquatered" in Freeport. In other words, just because you move to Freeport and are still trading with Worldco, you (because you are prop, and I belive the same is true for prof) would not have the same tax advantage as a retail trader working from Freeport - metoo, correct me if I am wrong, which I hope I am, as it is inevitable that I join one in the not too distant future...

As to the Internet connection, I have been working on the idea of "multiplexing" my two DSL connections (from different providers of course.) Right now, if one goes down, it is a matter of seconds for me to get IB's TWS going on the other one - this is redundancy the old fashion way and it works 99.99% of the time for me (the .01 is the time when it is the DSLAM at the CO that goes down - then I am hosed on both.)

Although your idea above does add a layer of redundancy and some transperancy to the internal network (in regards to being able to get Internet connectivity,) I am highly suspicious of getting any speed improvements if any (the load balancing part of what you are talking about.) In addition, in order to get true redundancy (both up AND down,) you would have to be running at least two T1's from different providers with different backbones, each with "peering" agreements with each other, and then have on each a BGP4 capable router correctly configured...Believe me, it is no small thing (plus take a look at the cost of a BGP4 capable CISCO router.) And if that is not enough, I haven't even gone into mainting such a network (you would need to be a CCNA at least, a $150K+/year skill.)

I don't mean to discourage you, but know what you are getting into and what you are getting in return before embarking on it - you may find it is not worth it.

Heck, I hope I see you in Freeport one day!!!!

nitro

#55     Aug 3, 2002
  6. My idea of 2 services is to get a DSL service from one company and a cable service from another...2 totally different companies with 2 totally speartae backbones and infrastructure. I figure that is the only way to have a true backup.

I think between the Nextland router, Compex router and the MidPoint software, there has to be an answer to what I want to do.

Btw..why did you get 2 DSL services (even if 2 diff companies) given that it is very possible that they share the same backbone since most DSL is provided by the local telco like Verizon in NYC, for ex? Wouldnt it be safer to go with a DSL and a cable instead for backup purposes?

#56     Aug 3, 2002
  7. The trader has to be offshore.

#57     Aug 3, 2002
  8. How about this idea? If you are simply interested in a backup system, why not have 2 network cards in your PC, connect one to DSl, the other to cable....and then run them simulatnaeously? If one goes down, the other is still connected. Wouldnt that work? Just run them 24/7 together. This woldnt give you faster speed but it should give you complete, immedtiate backup. What am I missing?

#58     Aug 3, 2002
  9. corvus

corvus

The MidPoint software isn't really all that different than the other solution that someone mentioned about having two nics in an NT box...it's software routing. In fact, win2k already provides alot of the same services, I think the MidPoint stuff just makes it more user-friendly from what I can see.

BGP/Cisco issues: BGP is great and all, but no "home" provider will provide BGP support, so it's useless unless you're paying for much more expensive business service. So, *multiplexing* two DSL connections won't happen through anyone like Qwest. But, like I said, having two seperate routes is a fine way to load-balance if you tend to have multiple streams of data. Besides, I would personally want two different high-speed connections using completely different networks and technology. Multiplexing two DSL connections still leaves you with a single point of failure at the CO.

#59     Aug 3, 2002
  10. corvus

corvus

Yes. You could have two NICs and Win2K (or that MidPoint software) would allow you to load-balance across them and fall-back to one if the other failed. Works great for a single PC, won't work if you have several and aren't interested in routing every other PC on your network through your trading machine.

#60     Aug 3, 2002