Cable Router-which one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Redart11, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Redart11

Redart11

Since I trust the advice on this site;Which router is
    better for my cable modem: Linksys 4 port 10/100 switch or
    D-Link. Both are the same price (about $100)Is there a better one in that price range? Another question:The computer I use for trading will be in a seperate room as
    the modem.I will need a 15 foot cable to the next room from
    the router. will this make a difference in speed?

2. Hi,

I use the Linksys 4 port, no problems and easy to install.

3. LelandC

LelandC

I also use the Linksys router. Model #BEFSR41. It has been extremely realiable thus far:)

Leland

4. Htrader

Htrader Guest

It depends on your own preference. Both are solid routers. As for a long cable, it should have no effect on your download speeds, as long as you make sure its not squashed under something on its way to your computer.

5. Turok

Turok

I also use the Linksys router. Model #BEFSR41

It was easy to install, has worked flawlessly. It supports a small network of computers throughout my house with the longest cable length being 50 ft.

JB

6. IRAF

IRAF

I would highly recommend SMC 7004BR router. It includes a print-server and also allows MAC address cloning that might be required to share the cable modem connection as some of the cable companies hold your Ethernet card adress on file.

Hope that helps,
    IRAF

7. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

several linksys users.. well, I am too. great router and firewall and proxy for Cable or DSL. Get the model with 4 ports so it is a switch too and you can share internet and build easy local network.

8. Hoyler

Hoyler

Ditto Neo's commets - easy to install - easy to configure -

-Hoyler

9. LelandC

LelandC

You can do MAC address cloning with the Linksys router too. I had to do this myself...

Leland

10. tom_p

tom_p

Redart,
    Ditto about the Linksys BEFSR41. Just out of interest, have you gone for the 2 PC solution?

#10     Aug 24, 2001