Cable modem help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Glutton, Oct 23, 2002.

1. How much do you pay for 3 meg DSL? Where are you?

#11     Oct 23, 2002
  2. If it says "obtain IP address automatically" then yes you have a dynamic ip.

#12     Oct 23, 2002
  3. If you swapped network cards at some point (think you did??), your cable modem may need to be reset - probably by powering it down then back up. Some cable modems associate their functioning with the mac address on your side of the net (they see this # when powered up usually). If you have a manual for the modem, that might help. If not, you could search the net for the cable modem mfg. & info.
    mac address = a number that identifies your particular card, hardware oriented, think its sorta like a serial # used to ID hardware on a network.
    This site discusses DHCP:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html

and discusses the mac address thing here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html

Good luck,
    smitty

#13     Oct 23, 2002
  4. You need to setup two routers (or one router with two WAN inputs -- a bad approach in my opinion) with different gateway assignments for the DSL and Cable. Assuming you are using a windows o/s, it is getting hopelessly lost.

The routers act as a segregate for you computer and individually keep your two ISP connections alive. You switch between them by changing the primary gateway on your nic. A single nic will do the job as it can be assigned multiple IPs and gateways using the advanced option. The operating system will use the primary gateway assignment to determine the router to use for access to the internet and will switch to the alternate ISP when the primary gateway/route is changed (see last week's discussion). The o/s will do this on it own only on hard failure of your local NIC hardware (the last thing that will fail); therefore, you need to control which gateways/ISP is being used via software -- two lines of code.

Recent discussions on this board should be helpful in getting the mechanics down. If you want to be able to switch between ISPs at will on either computer, then the routers will be required anyway.

#14     Oct 23, 2002
  5. i've had the same problem with java apps via cable modem. but my other apps work fine with no delays.

btw, for trading, you really should upgrade to at least a p3.

#15     Oct 23, 2002
  6. We have had this discussion before on ET..but there is a good solution to applying two broadband services to one PC: Nextland Router. This router will automatically setup a "invisible" backup in case one goes down. There are extensive discussions on this product, along with other solutions to this problem. The other one was a software solution from MidPoint. Do a search for these on Google or on ET...and decide for yourself. I tried to do this for my own trading..except I can't get DSL where I am. If you are having trouble getting your cable to work properly, your cable provider shouldbe able to come out and set it up properly for you. I would try to get it to work by itself first. Also, I think Win2000 OS works alot better than Win 98.

#16     Oct 24, 2002
  7. Are you talking about the Nexland Pro800?
    http://www.nexland.com/
    approx. 350 bucks(www.tigerdirect.com)
    Since you can't get DSL (me either - they say its coming) do you currently use this router's auto-dialup feature to connect via phone ISP? Does it work well?
    Thanks,
    Smitty

(searched past ET stuff - lots of cable/DSL sharing but no cable/dialup that I could find)

#17     Oct 24, 2002
  8. I do have dial-up as my back up.... But I dont need the Nextland router for that. I have my second PC setup with dial-up. My main work PC does not have a dial-up modem installed. When it goes down, I just get on my other PC and dial-up to get web access. Kinda crude method but it works....really slowly - but better than nothing. In fact, even if you have only one PC, if you have a dial-up modem installed, it should work as a back-up when your cable or DSL goes down.

#18     Oct 24, 2002
  9. rcreal

rcreal

I had RoadRunner residential and experienced frequent downtimes.

After many back-n-forth sessions with customer service, I upgraded to business class.

It's 40% more, but the connection is rock solid.

#19     Oct 25, 2002