Cable and DSL redundancy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lwlee, Jun 19, 2006.

1. In our country the last part (the copper wire piece to your house) is monopalized by one company who doesn not allow others to get on the line. This means I may be able to get another supplier but they still are going through the last same stretch. If you look at it they are basically resellers of the same service.

There was a wireless option that I explored and although the repeater is only a few Km away it is sitting behind a big hill and I cannot "see" it. Reception is nil...... Have had some thoughts about satelite but do not think it is available here in New Zealand.

Time to emigrate I think....

vital analitics

#11     Jun 22, 2006
  2. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

You may want to check into satellite as a backup. Problem with a second DSL and dial-up is they still come down the same wire, even with a different ISP. You might be able to get the lowest cost satellite I-net plan as you wouldn't be using it that much.

Cash

#12     Jun 22, 2006
  3. Not if the dial up is through a mobile phone with a seperate phone company who is using a different backone (they are each others arch rivals, he he). My primary is using fibre optics to connect to the rest of the world, the mobile company is using satellite. I thought about satellite but for backup it is rather cost prohibitive. (And did not investigate further if it is avaible at all in my corner of the world) Might as well dial in through the mobile and close out the trades and take the rest of the day off.

Thanks to all for the helpfull suggestions, if only a resolution was in sight....

vital analitics

#13     Jun 22, 2006
  4. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Oh yeah, forgot about mobile. They're just starting to spread out mobile I-net in the 400K-700K range around here for $60-$80/mo. That's another option.

Hope you find a good solution!

Cash

#14     Jun 22, 2006
  5. Biog

Biog

Yes, exactly want I found to be true. Therefore, I bought a separate router for the cable line and the DSL line. When comcast fails I just switch over to the wireless connection for DSL. Takes all of 3 seconds.

#15     Jun 22, 2006